Deriving wave equation with single string and small amplitude wave.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of the wave equation from Newton's laws and small amplitude waves in a single string with fixed tension. The participants are also discussing the substitution of variables and the definitions of kinetic and potential energy in the context of the wave equation.
BigDave11
1.This equation in the link below refers to the small angle approximation regarding deriving the wave equation from Newtons laws from small amplitude waves in a single string with fixed tension.

2.http://imgur.com/NGSwzcl

3. I'm a bit rusty on the maths and have no idea how these first order derivatives suddenly equal a second order derivative. could someone explain please? The notes I'm using are http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/152.mf1i.spring02/AnalyzingWaves.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
This just follows from the formal definition of a derivative:

f'(x) = [itex]\stackrel{lim}{Δx→0}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{f(x+Δx)-f(x)}{Δx}[/itex]

So if f(x) = g'(x) then f'(x) = g''(x).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks so much, such a simple thing I told you I was rusty. I now fully understand how to derive the wave equation thank you! also I was wondering if you could help me with getting from the second last line to the last line if it makes sense to you in the following image. apologies for my lecturers handwriting. Again I know it's my maths skills I really need to get a grip on. http://imgur.com/twm2QpQ

Hard to tell the difference from his x's and t's but he is just substituting from the definitions:

c2 = [itex]\frac{T}{ρ}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{∂^{2}y}{∂t^{2}}[/itex] = c2 [itex]\frac{∂^{2}y}{∂x^{2}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I can see how that will come into it but I realized its the third last line going into the second last line I don't quite understand.
Where does the factor of half go?
Where does the dy/dx in the left side come from?

The right side I understand you just square it out add the d/dt.
And I understand the substituting between the second last and last line, the only thing about the last line is the factor dy/dt.

If I'm irritating you with my ignorance please let me know, thank you.

No worries, we've all been there.

I think he made a mistake and left out the 2.

I think the dy/dx term you are referring to is supposed to be dy/dt. Like I said, it's hard to tell the difference between his t's and x's.

I think it is dy/dt because KE=∫[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρ([itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]dx.

and PE =∫[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρc[itex]^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]dx.

Any thoughts?

P.S.
sorry for the delay was finishing my allsky camera report.

I think it is dy/dt because:

KE=∫[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρ([itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]dx.

and PE =∫[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ρc[itex]^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]dx.

Any thoughts?

P.S.
sorry for the delay was finishing my allsky camera report.

Those are the definitions.

Related to Deriving wave equation with single string and small amplitude wave.

What is the wave equation and how is it derived?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It can be derived using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law, which relate the forces acting on a string to its displacement and acceleration.

What are the assumptions made when deriving the wave equation with a single string and small amplitude wave?

The derivation is based on the assumption that the string is perfectly elastic and has uniform density. The wave is also assumed to have a small amplitude, meaning that the displacement of the string is much smaller than its length.

How is the wave equation affected by changes in the properties of the string?

The wave equation is affected by changes in the properties of the string, such as its tension and density. For example, increasing the tension in the string will increase the speed of the wave, while increasing the density will decrease the speed.

What is the importance of the wave equation in understanding wave behavior?

The wave equation is essential in understanding how waves propagate and interact with their medium. It allows us to predict the behavior of waves and make calculations about their properties, such as frequency, wavelength, and speed.

Can the wave equation be used to describe other types of waves besides those on a string?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to many different types of waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It is a fundamental equation in physics and has many real-world applications.