Description of eigenvector corresponding to each eigenvalue.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue of a given matrix. The characteristic polynomial is used to find the eigenvalues, which turn out to be λ = 4 and λ = 3. The eigenvectors are then found to be (1,1) and (3,2) with any nonzero scalar multiple being a valid eigenvector for each respective eigenvalue.
magimag
I have a problem I need to solve. I can't find anything in my book that tells me how to do it. It might be worded differently in the book, but I'm not 100% sure how to solve this.

Homework Statement

Give a description of the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue.

The Attempt at a Solution

The matrix given is A = [1, 3];[-2, 6]

I have found the characteristic polynomial with the equation p(t)=det(A-tI)
the answer for that is p(t)=t^2-7t+12=>(t-4)(t-3)
so the eigenvalues are λ=4 and λ=4

Now I have to give description of the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue??

Physics news on Phys.org
magimag said:
I have a problem I need to solve. I can't find anything in my book that tells me how to do it. It might be worded differently in the book, but I'm not 100% sure how to solve this.

Homework Statement

Give a description of the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue.

The Attempt at a Solution

The matrix given is A = [1, 3];[-2, 6]

I have found the characteristic polynomial with the equation p(t)=det(A-tI)
the answer for that is p(t)=t^2-7t+12=>(t-4)(t-3)
so the eigenvalues are λ=4 and λ=4

Now I have to give description of the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue??
I would start by finding the eigenvectors, and then maybe you'll be able to describe them.

Ok I have found out that the vectors are (1,1) and (3,2)

so could a description be like

x=a(1,1),a≠o and x=a(3,2),a≠o ??

Looks OK except for one thing. The eigenvalues are λ = 4 and λ = 3. Any scalar multiple of <1, 1> is an eigenvector for λ = 4, and any scalar multiple of <3, 2> is an eigenvector for λ = 3.

I would use different scalars for the two eigenvectors, not a for both of them.

Ok it was a typo I had it for 3, but ok I thank I got it now then.

thank you :)

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a matrix, results in a scalar multiple of the original vector. In other words, the direction of the eigenvector remains unchanged but its magnitude may change.

2. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is the scalar value that is the result of multiplying an eigenvector by a matrix. It represents the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled when multiplied by the matrix.

3. How is an eigenvector related to its corresponding eigenvalue?

An eigenvector and its corresponding eigenvalue are related in that the eigenvector is the direction in which the matrix acts upon and the eigenvalue is the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled.

4. Why is the description of eigenvector corresponding to each eigenvalue important?

The description of eigenvector corresponding to each eigenvalue is important because it allows us to understand how a matrix transforms a vector. It also helps us to solve systems of differential equations and to identify patterns in data.

5. How is the eigenvector corresponding to each eigenvalue used in practical applications?

The eigenvector corresponding to each eigenvalue is used in a variety of practical applications, such as image and signal processing, data analysis, and machine learning. It can also be used to find the principal components of a dataset and reduce the dimensionality of data.