Design Circuit to Convert Current to Voltage | LTSpice Also

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student struggling with a circuit design involving a bias voltage source and photodiode. They discuss using LTSpice to model the circuit and the use of an ideal opamp. The conversation also touches on the differences between ideal and real opamps and the tradeoffs between bipolar and FET input opamps. The student successfully designs the circuit and receives congratulations on their midterm grades.
Lapse
Hello,

We just finished up midterms and I actually did well--got an A. However, somehow between the midterm (class before last) and last class we jumped to creating a circuit with a diode. I am pretty lost.

1. Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-19_13-12-50.png

Homework Equations

Voltage / Current = Resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here is how I designed it in LTSpice:
upload_2018-10-19_13-19-23.png

Ultimately, not only do I not know what the question is asking, but I don't know how to design it on paper nor in LTSpice. I am guessing I use a DC Sweep from the 5-volt source for part of it:
upload_2018-10-19_13-20-41.png

I really hate feeling this lost.

Hopefully you guys can help me through this.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_13-12-50.png
    upload_2018-10-19_13-12-50.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 898
  • upload_2018-10-19_13-18-47.png
    upload_2018-10-19_13-18-47.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 776
  • upload_2018-10-19_13-19-23.png
    upload_2018-10-19_13-19-23.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,056
  • upload_2018-10-19_13-20-41.png
    upload_2018-10-19_13-20-41.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 767
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like they want you to model the bias voltage source and photodiode as a variable current source. So just change out the voltage source and vanilla diode in your LTSPICE circuit for a current source, and sweep it across the range they specify. At the max current that they list (still small), you need to drop 1V across the feedback resistor, right?

I don't think there is a simple photodiode model in SPICE (other than a current source).

Do you generally use real opamps in your simulations now, or super-ideal ones? I ask because of issues like input bias current and input offset current/voltage issues in a circuit like this that is dealing with very small currents. If you are using real models, which type of opamp would be better for this (Bipolar or FET input) and why?

EDIT -- I see now they say to use an ideal opamp. I'd still be interested in your answer about which type of real opamp to use for such a circuit.

Last edited:
Likes gneill
Oh, and congrats on the midterms! :smile:

This is just HW for lecture, so I am unsure of which type of real opamp should normally be used.

Here is the circuit I've got so far:
upload_2018-10-19_17-48-1.png

Do you think this is the answer the professor might be looking for?

Here is the DC Sweep of the current source:
upload_2018-10-19_17-49-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_17-48-1.png
    upload_2018-10-19_17-48-1.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 794
  • upload_2018-10-19_17-49-55.png
    upload_2018-10-19_17-49-55.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 776
berkeman said:
Oh, and congrats on the midterms! :smile:
Thank you. :)

Looks good, but I would only sweep the current source over the range of interest of the problem (0A to 1uA), not all the way to 1A (boom!). :smile:

Oh, and you want to plot Vout as a function of Iin -- that would be a good plot to supply as your answer.

I'll let you get to my quiz question when you have some spare time. Just Google tradeoffs between bipolar and FET opamps and enjoy some interesting reading. :smile:

Ahh, okay. Something more like this?
upload_2018-10-19_18-7-16.png
Your question: I had to figure out what input bias current was first. If my understanding is correct, it is the small amounts of current in the inverting and non-inverting inputs of an opamp. Counterly, an ideal opamp doesn't represent this input bias current--which is why we call it "ideal".
It looks like one would use a bipolar for less noise and offset, and a FET for more area and power.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_18-7-16.png
    upload_2018-10-19_18-7-16.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 638
Great plot, IMO. Good work! :smile:
Lapse said:
Your question: I had to figure out what input bias current was first. If my understanding is correct, it is the small amounts of current in the inverting and non-inverting inputs of an opamp. Counterly, an ideal opamp doesn't represent this input bias current--which is why we call it "ideal".
Correct. The problem is, when you get to the real world (either in your hobby projects, or your labs, or your first job), you're required to use "real" opamps and other circuitry. That's why it's good to start asking questions about the differences between "ideal" and "real" circuits early. :smile:
Lapse said:
It looks like one would use a bipolar for less noise and offset, and a FET for more area and power.
Those may be true, but I think of FET input amps when I don't want to have to take input bias currents into my first-order calcs. There are "low-noise" versions of both types of opamps, and I'd have to check out some of the more recent datasheets to see which version is winning the low-noise war currently.

Good job!

Likes Lapse

1. How can I design a circuit to convert current to voltage using LTSpice?

To design a circuit that converts current to voltage using LTSpice, you will need to use a resistor. The resistor should be placed in series with the current source, and the voltage across the resistor will be proportional to the current passing through it. You can then use LTSpice's simulation tools to analyze the output voltage.

2. What is the purpose of converting current to voltage in a circuit?

Converting current to voltage allows us to measure and analyze the behavior of a circuit. Voltage is a more easily measurable quantity, and by converting the current passing through a circuit to voltage, we can better understand the performance of the circuit and make any necessary improvements.

3. Can I use a different component instead of a resistor to convert current to voltage?

While a resistor is the most common component used to convert current to voltage, other components such as a diode or a transistor can also be used. However, the conversion process may be more complex and may require additional circuitry.

4. Are there any limitations to using LTSpice for designing current to voltage conversion circuits?

LTSpice is a powerful simulation tool, but it may have limitations in accurately representing real-world components and their behaviors. It is always recommended to test and verify the circuit in a physical prototype before implementing it in a real-world application.

5. Can I use LTSpice to simulate the performance of a current to voltage conversion circuit with multiple inputs?

Yes, LTSpice allows you to simulate circuits with multiple inputs and analyze the output voltage. However, it is important to ensure that the circuit is designed properly to avoid any errors in the simulation results.