Integral for Current through an Inductor -- Not Working

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating and plotting the current in a circuit using the integral relationship between voltage and current in an inductor. The individual is struggling with obtaining the correct current value and is advised to break up the voltage equation into multiple sections and integrate over each piece. The correct equation is mentioned and the suggestion to think of finding the "area" under the voltage curve is given.
Lapse

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate, and plot along with (on the same plot) the voltage seen below, the current flowing in the following circuit using the integral relationship between the voltage across an inductor and the current through the inductor. Verify your hand calculations and plot using LTspice.
1OAfhV2VSUxy7Crjkpf0IEg9f5vMlkDbY_OBrxWF5zXBbFmRvDcS2_bzXBivVw6N4gesxoSPrVJlorNcbzWya3kcxrrO1J3o.png

Homework Equations

I = Io+1/L ⋅ ∫Vdτ

The Attempt at a Solution

QqJ31FPoIC8kuGiMRRIDq6VH4D-EH8cSxMVWrmdNJiIN1TvMJICJwzXoIyk1EmjnY1nMCg0WCL0hhXL74HYOn0zECdAkkm0F.png

So I am obviously doing this incorrectly because the current I obtain from solving the integral doesn't match the graph. For example, If I want the current from time 100μs - 200μs:

I = 0 + 1/400μH∫1dτ = 250mA

250mA is too high according to the graph. Where am I going wrong here?

Attachments

• 1OAfhV2VSUxy7Crjkpf0IEg9f5vMlkDbY_OBrxWF5zXBbFmRvDcS2_bzXBivVw6N4gesxoSPrVJlorNcbzWya3kcxrrO1J3o.png
    1OAfhV2VSUxy7Crjkpf0IEg9f5vMlkDbY_OBrxWF5zXBbFmRvDcS2_bzXBivVw6N4gesxoSPrVJlorNcbzWya3kcxrrO1J3o.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 355
  • QqJ31FPoIC8kuGiMRRIDq6VH4D-EH8cSxMVWrmdNJiIN1TvMJICJwzXoIyk1EmjnY1nMCg0WCL0hhXL74HYOn0zECdAkkm0F.png
    QqJ31FPoIC8kuGiMRRIDq6VH4D-EH8cSxMVWrmdNJiIN1TvMJICJwzXoIyk1EmjnY1nMCg0WCL0hhXL74HYOn0zECdAkkm0F.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 328
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you integrating a constant when the voltage across the inductor isn't constant over that time interval?

Good question. So what equation do I use to figure the current through the inductor?

You need to break up the voltage vs time equation into piecewise continuous sections and integrate over each piece.

Likes DaveE
You have the correct equation, you just need to do the integral correctly. It may help to think of finding the "area" (volts*sec) under the voltage curve.

Likes gneill

1. Why is the integral for current through an inductor not working?

The integral for current through an inductor may not be working due to various reasons, such as incorrect circuit connections, faulty components, or incorrect input values. It is important to carefully check all aspects of the circuit to identify the issue.

2. What is the significance of the integral for current through an inductor?

The integral for current through an inductor is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the voltage across an inductor and the resulting current. It is used to calculate the total current through an inductor over a specific time period.

3. How can I troubleshoot issues with the integral for current through an inductor?

To troubleshoot issues with the integral for current through an inductor, you can start by checking the circuit connections and ensuring all components are functioning properly. You can also try using different input values or testing the circuit with a different inductor to see if the issue persists.

4. Can the integral for current through an inductor be used for AC circuits?

Yes, the integral for current through an inductor can be used for both AC and DC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the inductor's reactance must be taken into account when calculating the current through it.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral for current through an inductor?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the integral for current through an inductor. It assumes that the inductor is ideal, with no resistance or capacitance. In real-life circuits, there will always be some resistance and capacitance present, which can affect the accuracy of the integral's results.