Determine Cartesian eq given

• Thread starter aeromat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cartesian
In summary, to determine the Cartesian equation for a plane parallel to the x-axis and passing through the points (1,2,1) and (2,1,4), you can use the vector <1,-1,3> (direction vector) and another vector in the plane perpendicular to the normal vector N. The normal vector N can be found by taking the cross product of the direction vector and another vector in the plane. Alternatively, you can use the fact that there is no x term in the plane's formula to solve for the coefficients A and B in the equation Ay + Bz = 1 using the two given points.
aeromat

Homework Statement

Determine the Cartesian equation for the plane with the following:
1) through the points (1,2,1) and (2,1,4)
2) parallel to x-axis

Homework Equations

Parametric Equations
Vector Eqs
Plane Eqs

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically understand how perpendicular works, but not sure how parallel will change this situation. I know that I will get a direction vector out of this from the first two points, which will be (1,-1,3), but then I don't know what to do after..

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, you have so far that D = <1,-1,3> is in the plane, so it is perpendicular to the plane's normal, call it N. If (x,y,z) is a variable point in the plane you can make another vector in the plane and perpendicular to the plane's normal N.

So the problem boils down to what does the normal vector N to the plane look like if the plane is parallel to the x axis? What can you say about its components?

If a plane is parallel to the x-axis, then the vector [itex]\vec{i}[/itex], or (1, 0, 0) in your notation, is in the plane. Use the two given points to find another vector in the plane and take their cross product to get a vector normal to the plane.

Another way to look at it is this: if the plane is parallel to the x-axis, there will be NO x in the formula. Write Ay+ Bz= 1 and use the two points to get two equations to solve for A and B.

Related to Determine Cartesian eq given

What is a Cartesian equation?

A Cartesian equation is an algebraic equation that represents a curve or surface in the Cartesian coordinate system. This system uses two perpendicular number lines, the x-axis and y-axis, to locate points on a plane.

How do I determine the Cartesian equation of a line?

To determine the Cartesian equation of a line, you will need the slope of the line and the coordinates of any point on the line. The equation is typically written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

Can a Cartesian equation have more than two variables?

Yes, a Cartesian equation can have multiple variables, depending on the number of dimensions in the coordinate system. For example, a three-dimensional Cartesian equation would have three variables: x, y, and z.

What is the difference between a Cartesian equation and a parametric equation?

A Cartesian equation is written in terms of x and y, while a parametric equation is written in terms of one or more parameters. Parametric equations are often used to represent curves or surfaces that are difficult to express in a Cartesian equation.

How do I graph a Cartesian equation?

To graph a Cartesian equation, you can plot points on a coordinate plane and connect them to create a curve or surface. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the equation for you.