Determine constant c that random variable will have a t distribution?

In summary: Your solution for the chi-squared problem isn't quite right, but I think you're on the right track. (I have to think about it, so I'll let you figure out the final solution.)In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine a constant c such that a random variable will have a t distribution. The problem involves five independent random variables with a normal distribution of N(0,1). The solution involves dividing the sum of the random variables by a constant c and taking the square root of the sum of squares. By choosing c to be the square root of 3/2, the random variable will have a t distribution. A similar problem involving a chi-squared distribution is also discussed, with the solution
Mixer
Determine constant c so that random variable will have a t distribution?

Homework Statement

Suppose that five random variables x1, x2, x3, x4, x5 are independent and have normal distribution N(0,1). Determine a constant c such that the random variable

c*(x1+x2)/[itex]\sqrt{x_3^2 + x_4^2 + x_5^2}[/itex]
will have a t distribution?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty confuced what to do. My cource material doesn't offer any clues how to approach this problem and my teacher didn't show anything related to this kind problem. Any clues for me? Thanks :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Mixer said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that five random variables x1, x2, x3, x4, x5 are independent and have normal distribution N(0,1). Determine a constant c such that the random variable

c*(x1+x2)/[itex]\sqrt{x_3^2 + x_4^2 + x_5^2}[/itex]
will have a t distribution?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty confuced what to do. My cource material doesn't offer any clues how to approach this problem and my teacher didn't show anything related to this kind problem. Any clues for me? Thanks :rolleyes:

Well, if Z ~ N(0,1) and Y ~ [itex]\chi^2(\nu)[/itex], then you know that [tex]\frac{Z}{\sqrt{\frac Y \nu}}[/tex] has a student's T distribution. That has a similarity to your problem doesn't it? What is the distribution of x1 + x2? What about that sum of squares under the square root sign? Can you pick c to make it work?

LCKurtz said:
Well, if Z ~ N(0,1) and Y ~ [itex]\chi^2(\nu)[/itex], then you know that [tex]\frac{Z}{\sqrt{\frac Y \nu}}[/tex] has a student's T distribution. That has a similarity to your problem doesn't it? What is the distribution of x1 + x2? What about that sum of squares under the square root sign? Can you pick c to make it work?

Hi there!

Thanks for reply!

If I'm understanding correctly:

x1 + x2 has distribution N(0,2)

So I need to divide x1 + x2 by two in order to have distribution N(0,1) -->

(x1 + x2) / 2

In order to make the denominator to be in form [tex]{\sqrt{\frac Y \nu}}[/tex]

I have to divide x32 + x42 + x52 by three --->

(x32 + x42 + x52) / 3

So if I pick c = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

It should work?

Yes. That looks good.

Thanks very much for your help!

Mixer said:
Hi there!

Thanks for reply!

If I'm understanding correctly:

x1 + x2 has distribution N(0,2)

So I need to divide x1 + x2 by two in order to have distribution N(0,1) -->

(x1 + x2) / 2

In order to make the denominator to be in form [tex]{\sqrt{\frac Y \nu}}[/tex]

I have to divide x32 + x42 + x52 by three --->

(x32 + x42 + x52) / 3

So if I pick c = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

It should work?

Var(X1+X2) = 2, so to get N(0,1) we need to look at (X1+X2)/sqrt(2), not (X1+X2)/2.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Var(X1+X2) = 2, so to get N(0,1) we need to look at (X1+X2)/sqrt(2), not (X1+X2)/2.

RGV

Woops! Yes.

Ok, so is the correct answer then

c = √(3/2) ??

I had similar kind of problem earlier:

Determine c such that Y will have chi-squared distribution,

Y = (x1 + x2 + x3)^2 + (x4 + x5 + x6)^2

x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6 have N(0,1) distribution.

x1 + x2 + x3 has distribution N(0,3)

So in order to have N(0,1) distribution I have to divide x1 + x2 + x3 by three:

x1 + x2 + x3 / 3

I have to square it in order to have chi-squred distribution. Same for x4 + x5 + x6. So if i pick c = 1/9 it should work?

Is this correct then 1/3 ?

The notation N(0,3) is ambiguous. In some books and papers the "3" is the variance, while in others it is the standard deviation. Your statement X1+X2+X3~N(0,3) is correct if "3" is the variance. The standard deviation is sqrt(3), so (X1+X2+X3)/sqrt(3) ~ N(0,1).

Related to Determine constant c that random variable will have a t distribution?

What is a t distribution?

A t distribution is a type of probability distribution that is used in statistics to model data that follows a bell-shaped curve and has heavier tails compared to a normal distribution. It is often used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations.

Why is it important to determine the constant c for a random variable that follows a t distribution?

The constant c, also known as the degrees of freedom, determines the shape and variability of the t distribution. By determining this constant, we can accurately calculate the probabilities associated with different values of the random variable, which is essential for making statistical inferences.

How is the constant c determined?

The constant c is determined by the sample size of the data. Specifically, it is equal to the sample size minus 1. For example, if we have a sample size of 100, the constant c would be 99.

Can the constant c be negative?

No, the constant c cannot be negative. It is always equal to the sample size minus 1, which means it will always be a positive integer.

What happens if the constant c is too small or too large?

If the constant c is too small, the t distribution will have heavier tails and a wider curve compared to a normal distribution. If the constant c is too large, the t distribution will be more similar to a normal distribution. The choice of the constant c depends on the sample size and the desired level of accuracy in the statistical analysis.