Determine the coordinaes of the x-y plane through which the wrench passes

Summary: In summary, a person exerts a 56-lb force on the ratchet handle with their right hand and a 10-lb force with their left hand to secure the socket onto the bolt head. The resultant force and moment at point O were calculated, and the point on the x-y plane through which the line of action of the wrench passes was determined to be 7.76 inches away from the z-axis.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

In tightening a bolt whose center is at point O, a person exerts a 56-lb force on the ratchet handle with his right hand. In addition, with his left hand he exerts a 10-lb force as shown in order to secure the socket onto the bolt head. Determine the equivalent force-couple system at O. Then find the point in the x-y plane through which the line of action of the wrench passes.

Imaged attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the resultant and moment as follows:

Rx = 0
Ry = -10 lb
Rz = -56 lb

Mx = (-56lb)(2.1 inches) = -117.6 ln-in
My = (-56 lb)(6.5 inches) = -364 lb in
Mz = 0

I fairly certain that the above values are correct. My confusion is with calculating the point on the x-y plane through which the line of action passes. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Attachments

• statics hwk 10 2.163.png
    statics hwk 10 2.163.png
    26 KB · Views: 910
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your post. It looks like you have correctly calculated the resultant force and moment at point O. To determine the point on the x-y plane through which the line of action of the wrench passes, you can use the following equation:

Mx = Fy*dz - Fz*dy

Where:
Mx = moment about the x-axis
Fy = force in the y-direction
dz = distance from the point of interest to the z-axis
Fz = force in the z-direction
dy = distance from the point of interest to the y-axis

Since we know the values for Mx, Fy, and Fz from your calculations, we can rearrange the equation to solve for dz:

dz = (Mx + Fz*dy)/Fy

Plugging in the values, we get:

dz = (-117.6 ln-in + 56 lb * 6.5 inches)/(-10 lb) = 7.76 inches

Therefore, the point on the x-y plane through which the line of action of the wrench passes is 7.76 inches away from the z-axis.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the x-y plane?

The x-y plane, also known as the Cartesian plane, is a two-dimensional coordinate system used to plot points and graph equations. It is made up of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis that intersect at the origin (0,0).

How do you determine the coordinates of a point on the x-y plane?

The coordinates of a point on the x-y plane are determined by its distance from the x-axis (horizontal) and y-axis (vertical). The x-coordinate is always listed first and the y-coordinate is listed second, in the form (x, y). For example, the point (3, 5) has an x-coordinate of 3 and a y-coordinate of 5.

What is the purpose of determining the coordinates of the x-y plane through which the wrench passes?

The coordinates of the x-y plane through which the wrench passes can be used to accurately describe the position of the wrench in space. This information is important for engineering and construction purposes, as well as for mathematical calculations and analysis.

How do you determine the coordinates of the x-y plane through which the wrench passes?

The coordinates of the x-y plane through which the wrench passes can be determined by identifying two points that the wrench passes through and using the distance formula to calculate the coordinates of the x-y plane. Alternatively, if the angle of the wrench is known, trigonometric functions can be used to calculate the coordinates.

What are some real-world applications of determining the coordinates of the x-y plane through which the wrench passes?

Determining the coordinates of the x-y plane through which the wrench passes is useful in various fields such as engineering, construction, and physics. It can be used to accurately position objects in space, calculate forces and moments, and design structures that can withstand the applied forces.