Determine the currents I1, I2, and I3.

• Thread starter RushiOfFlames
  • Start date
  • Tags
    currents
In summary, the conversation revolved around a person struggling with a physics problem involving currents and Mr. Kirchooff. The person received advice to write down two voltage loop equations but mentioned difficulty due to taking the class in a non-native language. The conversation ended with the thread being closed due to insufficient information for a solution.
RushiOfFlames
Homework Statement
Determine the currents I1, I2, and I3.
Relevant Equations
I2 + I3 = I1
I’m having trouble solving this one problem.
Sorry I’m really struggling with currents and I don’t know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't know whether the currents are equal.
What did you learn about Mr Kirchooff?

you need to write down the two voltage loop equations...

Dr Transport said:
you need to write down the two voltage loop equations...
Yea sorry I just looked back at my notes and a video in my language. Unfortunately, I moved from Hong Kong and taking a physics class in English. English isn't my strongest language

Thread closed. There is not enough information to get to a unique solution, and this is not advanced physics.

1. How do you determine the currents I1, I2, and I3?

To determine the currents I1, I2, and I3, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. KCL states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving the node. Ohm's Law states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). By setting up a system of equations using KCL and Ohm's Law, you can solve for the unknown currents I1, I2, and I3.

2. What information do I need to determine the currents I1, I2, and I3?

In order to determine the currents I1, I2, and I3, you will need to know the values of the resistors in the circuit and the voltage sources. You may also need to know the direction of the current flow in the circuit, which can be determined by the direction of the voltage sources and the orientation of the resistors.

3. Can I use a calculator to determine the currents I1, I2, and I3?

Yes, you can use a calculator to determine the currents I1, I2, and I3. However, you will need to set up the equations correctly and use the correct units for the values of resistance and voltage. It is also important to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

4. What happens if there are multiple voltage sources in the circuit?

If there are multiple voltage sources in the circuit, you will need to apply KCL and Ohm's Law to each individual node in the circuit. This will result in a system of equations with multiple unknown currents, which can then be solved using algebraic methods.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve for the currents I1, I2, and I3?

No, there is no specific order in which you should solve for the currents I1, I2, and I3. However, it may be helpful to start at a node with the most known values or the simplest equations. It is also important to label your equations and unknown currents correctly to avoid confusion.