Determine the gain of proportional controller

In summary, a voltage-controlled power supply drives a heater, which is influenced by ambient temperature. It is proposed to use disturbance feedback control to eliminate the effect of temperature changes on the output.
ilovescience85

Homework Statement

FIGURE 9 shows the block diagram of the control of an electric heatingsystem. The heater is driven from a voltage-controlled power supply, the

voltage V1 being derived from a potientiometer. The output temperature,

θO, is subject to disturbances, θD, because of changes in the ambient

temperature. It is proposed to apply 'disturbance feedback control' to the

system by the inclusion of a transducer that measures the external

temperature and feeds a signal back to the input via a proportional

controller of gain H.

Determine the required value of H to eliminate the effect of the disturbance.

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

Unsure where to start.

Attachments

• Fig9.JPG
    Fig9.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by finding the transfer function from ##\theta_D## to ##\theta_O##. I'd suggest you replace everything in the boxes with symbols, so you get a general result without numbers and units mucking up your algebra - it's a useful habit.

Also, this is feed-forward control - there's no feedback path in that diagram.

Would the following equation be used to help calculate the gain of the Proportional controller? I've attached the equation as a jpeg.

Attachments

• Equation.JPG
    Equation.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 433
ilovescience85 said:
Would the following equation be used to help calculate the gain of the Proportional controller? I've attached the equation as a jpeg.
I don't know what those symbols mean, and the image itself is frustratingly small o_O

I can't really help you if you don't show me what it is you're doing.

I'm a bit lost as we've never had anything like this question within the learning material. I've attached a larger image hopefully.

Attachments

• Equation.JPG
    Equation.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 399
ilovescience85 said:
I'm a bit lost as we've never had anything like this question within the learning material. I've attached a larger image hopefully.
I still don't know what the symbols in that equation represent. You'll have to tell me, and preferably also how you arrived at the equation.

I've attached the extracts from the learning material.

Attachments

• ICP-3-7.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 296
ilovescience85 said:
I've attached the extracts from the learning material.
That's for a specific kind of feedback system. I think you'd be much better off if you tried to work out the algebra in this problem.

If we call the transducer ##T##, the power supply ##S##, and the heater ##A##, can you find an expression for ##\theta_O##?

One method is to just follow the signal pathway around as you write down the operations you encounter, e.g. you could start with ##\theta_O = \theta_D + \dots##, where you add the rest by following ##\theta_D## as it goes through the transducer etc. and back to the summing junction.

1. What is a proportional controller?

A proportional controller is a type of feedback control system that adjusts its output based on the difference between the desired setpoint and the actual output. It uses a proportional gain to determine the amount of adjustment needed.

2. How is the gain of a proportional controller determined?

The gain of a proportional controller is typically determined through a process called tuning, where the controller is tested and adjusted until it provides the desired response. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the system's characteristics and desired performance.

3. What is the importance of determining the gain of a proportional controller?

The gain of a proportional controller is crucial in ensuring stable and accurate control of a system. If the gain is set too high, the system may become unstable and oscillate, while a low gain may result in slow response and poor control performance.

4. How does the gain affect the response of a proportional controller?

The gain determines the sensitivity of the controller to changes in the system's output. A higher gain will result in a more responsive controller, while a lower gain will result in a smoother response.

5. Can the gain of a proportional controller be adjusted after it has been set?

Yes, the gain of a proportional controller can be adjusted even after it has been initially set. This may be necessary if the system's characteristics or desired performance change. However, careful tuning is required to avoid instability or poor control performance.