Determine the stress in each of these sections of tile

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Krokodrile
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation discusses the teacher explaining a procedure for solving a problem, with one person expressing confidence in their solution but uncertainty due to differing results from teammates. The speaker agrees with the tension values determined for each section of a diagram, and later confirms that their friends need to review Statics after only taking a simplified approach.
Krokodrile
Homework Statement
There is a bar embedded in a tile, which consists of three sections and the following loads are applied to it. Determine the stress in each section.
Relevant Equations
A = pi(r)^2/4; E = F/A
For this problem the teacher explains the procedure for made it. I am sure that I am fine with my solution, but hours ago many teammate thay had different results...and now I am not sure.
Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-16 a la(s) 20.15.49.png
Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-16 a la(s) 20.08.22.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your diagram correctly, I agree with the tension values that you determined for each of the 3 sections.

Chestermiller said:
If I understand your diagram correctly, I agree with the tension values that you determined for each of the 3 sections.
Thank you very much for confirme it. Teammates they only took the (4kN +4 kN) = 8kN for the middle section, I simply said: "if they take 8kN, the force of the section below will cause the system to simply fall"

Krokodrile said:
Thank you very much for confirme it. Teammates they only took the (4kN +4 kN) = 8kN for the middle section, I simply said: "if they take 8kN, the force of the section below will cause the system to simply fall"
Your friends need to review Statics.

Related to Determine the stress in each of these sections of tile

1. What is stress and why is it important to determine in tile sections?

Stress is a measure of the force per unit area that a material is subjected to. In the case of tile, it is important to determine stress in order to ensure that the tile can withstand the expected load and prevent potential cracks or failures.

2. How is stress calculated in tile sections?

The stress in a tile section is calculated by dividing the force applied to the tile by its cross-sectional area. This is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors can contribute to stress in tile sections?

There are several factors that can contribute to stress in tile sections, including the weight of objects placed on the tile, temperature changes, and structural movement of the building or surface where the tile is installed. Additionally, the type and quality of the tile itself can also impact stress levels.

4. How does stress affect the durability of tile?

If a tile section is subjected to high levels of stress, it can lead to cracks, fractures, or even complete failure of the tile. This can compromise the overall durability and longevity of the tile, as well as potentially causing safety hazards. Therefore, it is important to determine and manage stress levels in tile sections.

5. Can stress in tile sections be reduced or prevented?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce or prevent stress in tile sections. This can include using proper installation techniques, choosing high-quality and durable tile materials, and ensuring that the surface or structure where the tile is installed is stable and able to support the expected load. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help identify and address any potential stress points before they become a larger issue.