Determine what happens to the rate of change of the population over time

In summary, the function in the denominator grows faster than the function in the numerator as t increases. This leads to a rate of change of zero for P(x) as t approaches infinity. The error in the written work is in the second term of the numerator, which should be the derivative of 2t + 10e^-t with respect to t. Both P and P' are functions of time t, not x.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
I'm not sure how to start question b.) I understand that I have the denominator powered to the square, it's function "grows faster" than the function in the numerator.
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_4247.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
it's function "grows faster" than the function in the numerator.
Does it grow? What happens to e-t as t increases?
Btw, you have a sign error in part a. Correction: no I had a sign error.

Last edited:
I am not seeing this sign mistake and think your answer is correct. However it was unnecessary to use the full formula for derivative of u(x)/v(x) - since u is just a constant you only needed that for 1/v(x).

You are not thinking about the rest in quite the right way. What happens to e-t as t increases and as it becomes very large? Alternatively you get something that might be mere self-evident to you if you divide top and bottom of the fraction by e-t.

epenguin said:
I am not seeing this sign mistake and think your answer is correct. However it was unnecessary to use the full formula for derivative of u(x)/v(x) - since u is just a constant you only needed that for 1/v(x).

You are not thinking about the rest in quite the right way. What happens to e-t as t increases and as it becomes very large? Alternatively you get something that might be mere self-evident to you if you divide top and bottom of the fraction by e-t.
So you'll have lim t---> infinite , the function in the denominator will grow faster, so as t grows, P'(x) approaches zero. I believe another way to see this is to note that for t---> inf, P(x)---> 24, therefore reaching a constant value, with zero rate of change. My rate would be zero, right?

Not very convincing, in fact wrong. Firstly, rather than the denominator, what about the numerator??

Last edited:
epenguin said:
I am not seeing this sign mistake
You are right - my mistake.
ttpp1124 said:
the function in the denominator will grow faster,
I refer you again to my question in post #2.

The work in post #1 has an error.
You (@ttpp1124) have ##P'(x) = \frac{0(2t + 10e^{-t}) - 48(-10e^{-t})}{(2 + 10e^{-t})^2}##.
The error is in the 2nd term in the numerator.
What's the derivative with respect to t, of ##2t + 10e^{-t}##?

Also, both P and P' are functions of time t, not x.

Edit: The type in the problem statement is so small that I didn't notice that ##\frac{48}{2 + 10e^{-t}}## there had turned into ##\frac{48}{2t + 10e^{-t}}## in the written work.

Last edited:
There is a typo/error in the denominator of ##P(t)##, an extra ##t##, not that it matters much.

Likes Mark44

What is the rate of change of a population?

The rate of change of a population is the speed at which the population is growing or declining over a certain period of time. It is usually measured in terms of the number of individuals added or lost per unit of time.

How is the rate of change of a population calculated?

The rate of change of a population can be calculated by dividing the change in population size by the change in time. This is usually expressed as a percentage or a ratio.

What factors can affect the rate of change of a population?

There are several factors that can affect the rate of change of a population, including birth rate, death rate, immigration, emigration, and natural disasters. These factors can either increase or decrease the population size and therefore impact the rate of change.

How does the rate of change of a population change over time?

The rate of change of a population can change over time depending on various factors such as availability of resources, environmental conditions, and human interventions. It can increase, decrease, or remain constant over time.

Why is it important to determine the rate of change of a population over time?

Determining the rate of change of a population over time is important for understanding the dynamics of a population and predicting future trends. It can also help in making informed decisions about resource management, conservation efforts, and public policies related to population growth or decline.