Determine whether limit is indeterminate or has a fixed value

In summary, the following are all indeterminate forms: ##\frac{0}{0}, \frac{\infty}{\infty} , \infty - \infty, 0 . \infty , 1^{\infty}, 0^{0}, \infty^{0}##
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Indeterminate forms
1665120885420.png

Indeterminate forms are: ##\frac{0}{0}, \frac{\infty}{\infty} , \infty - \infty, 0 . \infty , 1^{\infty}, 0^{0}, \infty^{0}##

My answer:
4, 9, 15, 17, 20 are inderterminate forms

1. always has a fixed finite value, which is zero

2. ##0^{-\infty}=\frac{1}{0^{\infty}}=\frac{1}{0}=\infty## so it never has a fixed finite value

3. always has a fixed finite value, which is one

5. ##\infty . \infty=\infty## so it never has a fixed finite value

6. ##\infty^{-\infty}=\frac{1}{\infty^{\infty}}=\frac{1}{\infty}=0## so it always has a fixed finite value

7. ##\infty^{1}=\infty## so it always has a fixed finite value

8. ##\frac{\infty}{0}=\infty## so it never has a fixed finite value

10. ##\pi^{\infty}=\infty## so it never has a fixed finite value

11. ##1.\infty=\infty## so it never has a fixed finite value

12. ##1^{-\infty}=\frac{1}{1^{\infty}}## , not sure about this one since ##1^{\infty}## is indeterminate form. My guess for this one is: ##\frac{1}{1^{\infty}}=\frac{1}{1}=1## so always has a fixed finite value

13. ##\frac{1}{-\infty}=0## so it always has a fixed finite value

14. ##\infty^{\infty}=\infty## so it never has a fixed finite value

16. ##\infty^{-e}=\frac{1}{\infty^{e}}=\frac{1}{\infty}=0## so it always has a fixed finite value

18. ##\frac{0}{\infty}=0## so it always has a fixed finite value

19. ##\pi^{-\infty}=\frac{1}{\pi^{\infty}}=0## so it always has a fixed finite value

Are my answers correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1665120812389.png
    1665120812389.png
    13 KB · Views: 91
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to 12 is not right.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
Your answer to 12 is not right.
Would the answer be "indeterminate" because ##1^{\infty}## is indeterminate form?

Thanks

songoku said:
Would the answer be "indeterminate" because ##1^{\infty}## is indeterminate form?

Thanks
Why not?

PeroK said:
Why not?
I am not sure because in the explanation there is ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1^{x} = 1## so I am confused whether it would be indeterminate form or 1

songoku said:
I am not sure because in the explanation there is ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1^{x} = 1## so I am confused whether it would be indeterminate form or 1
Your confusion would be resolved if you found an example where it is not ##1##.

I fail to see how ##1^{\infty}## can be indeterminate, yet ##\dfrac 1 {1^{\infty}}## have a definite limit. That's a clear contradiction, is it not?

Likes songoku
songoku said:

What about [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} (1 + kx^{-1})^x = e^{k}[/itex]? Is that of the form [itex]1^{\infty}[/itex]?

Likes songoku and SammyS
PeroK said:
Your confusion would be resolved if you found an example where it is not ##1##.
You mean the one given in post #7?

pasmith said:
What about [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty} (1 + kx^{-1})^x = e^{k}[/itex]? Is that of the form [itex]1^{\infty}[/itex]?
I think I get your hint

Maybe a bit tricky, in that an indeterminate ##\frac {\infty}{\infty} ## may be resolved by, e.g., L' Hopital's rule.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help and explanation PeroK, pasmith, WWGD

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as its input (usually denoted as x) approaches a specific value (usually denoted as a). It does not necessarily mean the actual value of the function at that point, but rather the value that the function gets closer and closer to as x gets closer and closer to a.

2. How do you determine whether a limit is indeterminate?

A limit is considered indeterminate if it cannot be determined by simply plugging in the value of a into the function. This can happen when the function has a discontinuity or when it takes on the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. In these cases, further algebraic manipulation or the use of limit laws is needed to determine the limit.

3. How do you determine whether a limit has a fixed value?

A limit has a fixed value if it can be determined by plugging in the value of a into the function. This means that the function is continuous at that point and the limit is equal to the actual value of the function at that point.

4. What are some common types of indeterminate limits?

Some common types of indeterminate limits include 0/0, ∞/∞, ∞ - ∞, and 0 * ∞. These types of limits require further algebraic manipulation or the use of limit laws to determine their value.

5. How can you determine whether a limit is indeterminate or has a fixed value?

To determine whether a limit is indeterminate or has a fixed value, you can start by trying to plug in the value of a into the function. If this results in an undefined expression, then the limit is indeterminate and further steps are needed to determine its value. If the expression is defined and can be evaluated, then the limit has a fixed value and is equal to the value of the expression.