Determine Zero Force for trusses

In summary, -The statements in post 1 are found on many truss websites-The questions in post 2 are direct questions and can be answered with the provided information-The questions in post 3 are questions about the provided information.
kivine

Homework Statement

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4355/97240590.png

Homework Equations

* If only two members meet in an unloaded joint, both are zero-force members.
* If three members meet in an unloaded joint of which two are in a direct line with one another, then the third (perpendicular) member is a zero-force member.
* If two members meet in a loaded joint and the line of action of the load coincides with one of the members, the other member is a zero-force member.
Question 1. Why is JG not a zero member? is it because of the force acting downwards on JF? If so, what's the general rule about it?

Question 2. If three members meet in an unloaded joint of which two are in a direct line with one another, then the third (perpendicular) member is a zero-force member. What happens if the third member is not perpendicular?

Question 3 Is YZ a zero force member?. With F and without F

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, kivine. We don't just give out answers to homework questions here. You must attempt to answer your homework questions yourself. That is the third part of the template, which you deleted. After you post a valid attempt, then users might be able to comment on your answers and your current thoughts.

nvn said:
Hi, kivine. We don't just give out answers to homework questions here. You must attempt to answer your homework questions yourself. That is the third part of the template, which you deleted. After you post a valid attempt, then users might be able to comment on your answers and your current thoughts.

I guess you misunderstood me. These are some additional queries I've pondered on while doing this question, in which I do have the solution for.

You can see for yourself that I made a poor-ish attempt to illustrate the additional questions I've in the bottom right of the figure. If you want, I can post the solutions, but the solutions have no relation in the questions that I asked.

kivine: Thanks for the clarification. No, no need to post the unrelated solutions.

kivine said:
I guess you misunderstood me. These are some additional queries I've pondered on while doing this question, in which I do have the solution for.

You can see for yourself that I made a poor-ish attempt to illustrate the additional questions I've in the bottom right of the figure. If you want, I can post the solutions, but the solutions have no relation in the questions that I asked.

I guess I'm having the same problem seeing your work. Is it a formatting problem? I see the questions at the end of your post, but no work after that...?

kivine: Regarding the list of statements with asterisks in post 1, did you copy those statements from a textbook? Or did you (or your teacher) devise those statements yourself?

ok.

The statements are found in the wiki and almost any related trusses website.

There's no work after the questions because the questions are in fact questions that came from me and no one else. And also because they are simply direct questions and if you needed *workings* they can be found in the statement.How else do you define workings then if the question is not a mathematical based question!? My understanding are based on the top 3 statements. so if workings = understanding, then you got it

If so here's what you guys need
: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9525/62708875.png

kivine: Do not believe everything you read on wikipedia. Remember, wikipedia can sometimes be written by unknowledgeable amateurs. The wikipedia page you are quoting is a prime example, because it currently contains multiple misstatements, which would tend to confuse any reader. Here are the correct facts.

(1) If only two noncollinear members meet in an unloaded joint, both are zero-force members.
(2) If only three members meet in an unloaded joint of which two are collinear, then the third (noncollinear) member is a zero-force member.
(3) If only two noncollinear members meet in a loaded joint, and the line of action of the load is collinear with one of the members, the other member is a zero-force member.

Moving on to your questions.

(Q1) "Why is GJ not a zero-force member? Is it because of the force acting downwards on FJ? If so, what's the general rule about it?"

Member GJ is not a zero-force member because member FJ applies a component of force (to joint J) perpendicular to members CJ and EJ. Therefore, the only member that can resist this force component is member GJ.

(Q2) "[Regarding rule 2,] what happens if the third member is not perpendicular?"

Nothing. The corrected rule is written above.

(Q3) "Is YZ a zero-force member? With F and without F?"

Just taking a quick glance, it appears your structure is a mechanism (unstable). (But I hope PhanthomJay or someone like that will give a second opinion, if I am misinterpreting.) Therefore, the question is somewhat superfluous, because the structure is unstable; but I will try to answer it anyway, for the purpose of this question. Without F, member YZ would tend to be a zero-force member, per rule 2, above. With F, member YZ would tend to not be a zero-force member. But again, the structure is unstable, so there is not an exact answer to the question.

I completely agree with nvn's above response.

thanks a lot for the help :)

What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework made of connected triangles that is used to support and distribute weight in buildings, bridges, and other structures.

Why is it important to determine the zero force for trusses?

Determining the zero force in a truss is important because it helps engineers and architects understand the internal forces and stresses within the truss, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of the structure.

How do you determine the zero force in a truss?

To determine the zero force in a truss, you must first analyze the external forces acting on the truss and then use the method of joints or method of sections to calculate the internal forces at each joint or section. The internal forces that are equal to zero are the zero forces.

What factors can affect the zero force in a truss?

The zero force in a truss can be affected by the geometry and shape of the truss, the magnitude and direction of external forces, and the type of support at each joint.

Can the zero force in a truss be negative?

Yes, the zero force in a truss can be negative. A negative zero force indicates that the member is in compression, while a positive zero force indicates that the member is in tension.