Determining asset value using historical stats

In summary, the conversation discusses a project focused on finding the most accurate method to value an asset using historical data. The speaker mentions using multiple linear regression and seeking help from individuals knowledgeable in statistics. They also mention the different data points they have access to, such as last sale amount, days since manufacture, and general condition of the asset. The ultimate goal is to create a formula for estimating the true value of an asset.
jcbn82
Hey guys, nice to meet you all! My name is Jonathan and I'm from Queensland Australia.

I'm currently working on a project which is seeking to find the most accurate method to value an asset based on historical stats. I think the best way to describe would be to provide a theoretical example:

I am a widget investor, and every day there are thousands of widgets bought and sold in any particular marketplace. As a value investor I am looking to purchase only those widgets that are available for less than their true value. Widgets are a desirable commodity and generally increase in value over time.

To determine a formula for true value (or as close as possible), I am able to access the following data for each widget that is for sale and those recently sold:

- last sale amount
- days since manufacture
- days since last sale
- number of arms
- number of motors
- number of wheels
- colour
- brand of widget
- general condition of widget (1 to 10)

Using this data, I am hoping to be able to create a formula that will give me a conservative estimate of value. I am not sure how to best set the coefficients and each variable, and to be honest am not sure where to start.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not much up on this method, but it seems to me that multiple linear regression might be useful to you. Jameson and I like Serena are excellent at statistics - they might be able to help you out more.

1. How do I determine the historical stats for an asset?

To determine the historical stats for an asset, you will need to research and collect data on the performance and value of the asset over a specific period of time. This can be done through various sources such as financial reports, market data, and historical charts.

2. What factors should I consider when determining the value of an asset using historical stats?

When using historical stats to determine the value of an asset, it is important to consider factors such as the overall market trends, the performance of similar assets, any changes in regulations or industry standards, and any significant events or news that may have affected the asset's value.

3. How far back should I look when analyzing historical stats for an asset?

The time period you should consider when analyzing historical stats for an asset will depend on the specific asset and its market. Generally, it is recommended to look back at least 5-10 years to get a comprehensive understanding of the asset's performance and value.

4. Can historical stats be used as the sole factor in determining the value of an asset?

No, historical stats should not be the sole factor in determining the value of an asset. While they can provide valuable insights, it is important to also consider other factors such as current market conditions, future projections, and qualitative factors such as the company's management and competitive landscape.

5. How can I use historical stats to make informed investment decisions?

To use historical stats to make informed investment decisions, it is important to carefully analyze the data and consider all relevant factors. This can help you understand the potential risks and rewards of investing in a particular asset and make a more informed decision based on your investment goals and risk tolerance.