Determining average acceleration during point of impact

In summary, the problem involves a dodgem car with a mass of 200g being driven into a rigid barrier at 5.0 ms^-1 and rebounding at 2.0 ms^-1 after being in contact for 0.2s. The average acceleration of the car during its interaction with the barrier is -35 m/s2 in the opposite direction of its initial motion and the average net force applied to the car is -0.07N. The equations used are F=ma and a=delta v/delta t, taking into account the vector nature of acceleration and force.
miles davis

Homework Statement

Hello, new to the physics world, I am trying to self-teach through reading textbooks, videos etc and application.

I came across a problem I do not know how to begin to answer.

A dodgem car of mass 200g is driven due south into a rigid barrier at an initial speed of 5.0 ms^-1. The dodgem rebounds at a speed of 2.0m^-1. It is in contact with the barrier for 0.2s. Calculate:

a) the average acceleration of the car during its interaction with the barrier
b) the average net force applied to the car during its interaction with the barrier.

Homework Equations

I am unsure which equations to utilise: F=ma, a= Delta v/ Delta t or kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) a = (-2-5)/(0.2) but for barrier unsure?
b) Fnet= 0.2 X unknown acceleration [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello M, welcome to PF :)

a= Delta v/ Delta t is a good one for average a. Delta v is v before - v afterwards. Note that v is a vector, so the before and after have different signs in this calculation. a is also a vector and it should be clear that it points opposite to the original direction of motion of the car !

And you will do fine with F = ma in part b. So not what you write in your attempt: the 0.2 seconds have no place there...
[edit] Sorry, didn't see that it was a toy car. 0.2 kg is ok.

Again, F is a vector. Check the sign using your intuition!

Thank you BvU,

It is liberating receiving help from someone when navigating the minefield of physics.

Your guidance is perfectly clear, I am just unsure as to how to incorporate delta T here: if I were to divide the change in velocity (delta V) which appears to be -7 (in the opposite direction as you pointed out! :) ) by the change in time (0.2s?) (Final T - Initial T; 0.2 - 0) I end up with 35ms-2N, however this does not appear to be correct!

Apologies for my rudimentary understanding, I am still grappling with content.

Perhaps they want a different direction in the answer: you found ## -2 - 5 ## m/s per ##0.2## s = ##-35## m/s2 If I am correct. This is taking the 5 m/s South as positive. So the answer is ##-35## m/s2 South which you can correctly report as ##35## m/s2 North.

But if the program insists on receiving the acceleration in a southerly direction, then entering ##-35## m/s2 (with or without the S, I don't know) is the only way to get it to approve your answer.

( I'm deducing all this from your " this does not appear to be correct" -- without knowing if there is a computer program involved at all...)

For me your result is impeccable. No need for apologies; on the contrary: kudos for your wanting to learn !

1. What is average acceleration during point of impact?

Average acceleration during point of impact is the average rate at which the velocity of an object changes during the moment of impact. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed changes over time at the point of impact.

2. How do you calculate average acceleration during point of impact?

To calculate average acceleration during point of impact, you will need to measure the initial velocity and final velocity of the object before and after the impact. Then, divide the change in velocity by the time it took for the impact to occur. The formula is: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. What units are used to measure average acceleration during point of impact?

The units for average acceleration during point of impact are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

4. How is average acceleration during point of impact different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration during point of impact is the average rate of change of velocity over the entire impact, while instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment during the impact. Instantaneous acceleration can vary greatly during an impact, while average acceleration takes into account the overall change in velocity during the impact.

5. Why is it important to determine average acceleration during point of impact?

Determining average acceleration during point of impact is important for understanding the forces involved in a collision or impact. It can also help in designing safety measures to reduce the impact force and protect individuals or objects from injury or damage. Additionally, it is a crucial factor in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in the design of vehicles, sports equipment, and structures.