Determining Orbital Period of a Planet

In summary, the equation P2 = (4 * pi2 * a3)/(G(M+m)) can be used to find the orbital period of Earth, where P is the orbital period, a is the semi-major axis, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sun, and m is the mass of Earth. After plugging in the given values, the orbital period of Earth is approximately 31690989.27 seconds. The units for P are seconds. To verify the accuracy of the calculation, it is recommended to compare the result with the number of seconds in a year.
polskamafia
Using the equation P2 = (4 * pi2 * a3)/(G(M+m)) to find the orbital period of Earth where:

P = orbital period
a = semi-major axis = 1.50e11 m
G = 6.67e-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
M = mass of sun (in this case) = 1.989e30 kg
m = mass of Earth = 5.972e24 kg

I have been trying to find the orbital period of the Earth but the answers I've been getting make no sense.

P2 = (4 * pi2 * (1.50e11)3) / (G(1.989e30 + 5.972e24))

P = 31690989.27

What are the units on P? I tried following the units as they canceled each other and I ended up with s kg-2. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

- Marcin

Physics news on Phys.org
P has units of seconds.

Hello Marcin

Try calculating how many seconds there are in a year. And compare with your answer.

Ah yes. Well that was embarrassing. Thank you Bandersnatch!

I would first like to commend you for attempting to use the appropriate equation to calculate the orbital period of Earth. It is important to use the correct formula and units in scientific calculations to ensure accurate results.

In this case, the units for P should be in seconds (s) since it is representing the time for one complete orbit. However, it seems that there may have been a mistake in the units used in the equation. The units for G should be m3 kg-1 s-2, not s kg-2. This could have led to the incorrect answer you obtained.

To calculate the orbital period of Earth using the given equation, the units should be as follows:

P2 = (4 * pi2 * (1.50e11 m)3) / (6.67e-11 m3 kg-1 s-2 * (1.989e30 kg + 5.972e24 kg))

P2 = (4 * pi2 * 3.375e33 m3) / (6.67e-11 m3 kg-1 s-2 * 1.989e30 kg)

P2 = 5.972e24 s2

P = √(5.972e24 s2)

P = 2.354e7 s

Therefore, the orbital period of Earth is approximately 23.54 million seconds, which is equivalent to about 365.26 days or one year.

I recommend double-checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy in your results. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to Determining Orbital Period of a Planet

1. What is the orbital period of a planet?

The orbital period of a planet is the amount of time it takes for the planet to complete one orbit around its star or central body.

2. How is the orbital period of a planet determined?

The orbital period of a planet can be determined using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. What factors affect the orbital period of a planet?

The orbital period of a planet is affected by the mass of the planet, the mass of its central body, and the distance between the two objects.

4. Can the orbital period of a planet change over time?

Yes, the orbital period of a planet can change over time due to factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects or changes in the planet's own mass or orbit.

5. How is the orbital period of a planet related to its distance from its star?

The orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the distance between the planet and its star. This means that the farther the planet is from its star, the longer its orbital period will be.