Determining revolutions of a wheel

In summary: You should have got: ##f = v/d = v/2\pi r##And then you substituted for ##d## using ##d = vt##.In summary, the problem involves finding the number of revolutions a wheel makes per second given its radius and the rider's velocity. By substituting the value of d in the formula for frequency, we can find the answer to be 20/π revolutions per second.
brake4country

Homework Statement

The picture to this problem is very basic so I don't think I have to draw one here. It's a picture of a clown juggling on a tightrope. The problem is:
If the radius of the wheel on Puncho's unicycle is 0.25 m, and Puncho is riding with a velocity of 10 m/s, how many revolutions does the wheel make each second?
A: 20/π

Homework Equations

C=2πr; d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted 2πr for d and got:
2πr=vt
(2)π(.25m) = 10m/s (t)
t = 1/20 s

I know the question is asking for revolutions/1 second but I don't know where to go from here after I find a value for t. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why have you taken 2πr=vt ? Is v the velocity of the centre of the wheel or the velocity of a point on the circumference of the wheel(,i.e. tangential velocity)? Also, the wheel appears to move along the rope without slipping (can you use this?)
The question asks for revolutions/s . These are units of ω (angular velocity).

Ok. So I use ω=v/r, which gives me 20. But why is π in the denominator?

brake4country said:
You got 20 in what units? Try to convert it to rev/s
Also, how did you get 20? v/r is 10/0.25= 40

brake4country said:

Homework Statement

The picture to this problem is very basic so I don't think I have to draw one here. It's a picture of a clown juggling on a tightrope. The problem is:
If the radius of the wheel on Puncho's unicycle is 0.25 m, and Puncho is riding with a velocity of 10 m/s, how many revolutions does the wheel make each second?
A: 20/π

Homework Equations

C=2πr; d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted 2πr for d and got:
2πr=vt
(2)π(.25m) = 10m/s (t)
t = 1/20 s

I know the question is asking for revolutions/1 second but I don't know where to go from here after I find a value for t. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You are nearly there. You seem to have lost ##\pi## from your equation for ##t##. If one revolution takes ##t## seconds, then how many revolutions per second is that? If you don't see this immediately, try taking ##t = 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, \dots## and try to see what's happening.

brake4country said:
No. ##\omega \ne v/r##

Not if you're working in revolutions per second.

Last edited:
I think I got it. The MCAT doesn't require this type of problem but I wanted to attempt it anyway.

So, ω=v/r and f=ω/2π. Substituting we get: v/r/2π=40/2π

Answer: 20/π

brake4country said:
I think I got it. The MCAT doesn't require this type of problem but I wanted to attempt it anyway.

So, ω=v/r and f=ω/2π. Substituting we get: v/r/2π=40/2π

Answer: 20/π
That's correct, but your first approach with

##f = v/d##

Was quicker. There's no need to use the intermediate radians per second.

In your first post you simply dropped the ##\pi## from your equation.

1. How do you determine the revolutions of a wheel?

The revolutions of a wheel can be determined by measuring the circumference of the wheel and the distance it travels in one full rotation. The number of revolutions can then be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the circumference of the wheel.

2. What is the formula for calculating the revolutions of a wheel?

The formula for calculating the revolutions of a wheel is: number of revolutions = distance traveled / circumference of the wheel.

3. Can the revolutions of a wheel be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as the weight of the load on the wheel, the terrain, and the air resistance can affect the revolutions of a wheel. These factors can increase or decrease the number of revolutions needed to travel a certain distance.

4. How accurate is the calculation of revolutions of a wheel?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken for the distance traveled and the circumference of the wheel. The more precise the measurements, the more accurate the calculation will be.

5. How can determining the revolutions of a wheel be useful in scientific studies?

Determining the revolutions of a wheel can be useful in various scientific studies, such as in the study of motion and mechanics. It can also be applied in real-life situations, such as calculating the fuel efficiency of a vehicle or the speed of a rotating object.