Determining the damping constant from the ratio of amplitudes

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the amplitude and period of a damped harmonic oscillator and finding the damping constant using a formula. There is also a discussion about handling different amplitude measurements and the proper way to calculate the ratio between them. Finally, the correct method for finding the damping constant is determined.
richyw

Homework Statement

I have measured the amplitude between the first and tenth oscillations for a damped harmonic oscillator (spring with a mass attached). I also have measured the period. First question. Is an (underdamped) harmonic oscillator periodic? Like I know that the solution to the differential equation has a sine/cosine argument in it and it does oscillated with a period. But as time goes on the exponential decreases its amplitude. So can we really call this motion "periodic"?

Anyways my main question is how do I find the damping constant? In the equations section i'll put what my lab manual gives

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{b}{2M}T=\ln\left(\frac{x_1}{x_2}\right)[/tex] where b is the damping constant, M is the mass, T is the period and [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the amplitude of the first and second oscillations respectively

The Attempt at a Solution

This makes sense to me, except for one thing. I do not understand what to do if I measured the 1st and 10th amplitude instead of the first and second. What is the proper way to handle this. The two things I can think of would be to divide the ratio I have by 9, and then just plug it in. I also thought I could use the ratio I have and then multiply the period of one oscillation (which I measured independently) by 9. Neither really makes sense to me though TBH.

Physics news on Phys.org
[STRIKE]They both make sense.[/STRIKE]

If you can start with the equation of the oscillation
[itex]x(t)=A\cos (\omega t) e^{-\frac{b}{2m} t}[/itex]
and take t=0 and t=10 T.
Then calculate the the ratio between x(0) and x(10T).
The cos part is 1 for both values of time.

Last edited:
I can't exactly read what you wrote. The LaTeX is broken I think. If they both make sense then why do they give me different answers? In fact if I do it the first way, I get a negative damping constant...

You are right. I did not think. Sorry for the confusion.
Only the one with 10 T makes sense. As it results from the method I described in the previous post.

The Latex looks OK for me.
But without, the equation is
x(t)=Acos(omega*t)*exp[(-b/2m)*t]

ah, thanks. This makes sense now.

1. How do you determine the damping constant from the ratio of amplitudes?

The damping constant can be determined by dividing the amplitude of the first peak by the amplitude of the second peak. This ratio is then used to calculate the damping constant using the equation: c = (2πf_0r)/(1+r^2), where f_0 is the natural frequency and r is the damping ratio.

2. What is the significance of the damping constant in determining the behavior of a system?

The damping constant is a measure of how much energy is dissipated in a system. It determines the rate at which the oscillations of a system will decrease over time, and can indicate whether the system is underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped.

3. How does the ratio of amplitudes change with different values of the damping constant?

The ratio of amplitudes decreases as the damping constant increases. This means that as the damping of a system increases, the amplitude of the oscillations decreases and the system becomes less resonant.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the damping constant from the ratio of amplitudes?

The accuracy of determining the damping constant from the ratio of amplitudes can be affected by external factors such as noise in the data, variations in the natural frequency of the system, and errors in measurement. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors in order to obtain an accurate value for the damping constant.

5. Can the damping constant be determined from the ratio of amplitudes in any type of oscillating system?

No, the damping constant can only be accurately determined from the ratio of amplitudes in systems that exhibit harmonic motion, such as simple pendulums or mass-spring systems. It may not be applicable for more complex systems with non-linear behavior or multiple degrees of freedom.