Determining the number of gear teeth?

In summary, the system consists of a shaft and two gears, aiming to rotate the shaft at 250 RPM with an input power of 850W and an input torque of 71Nm. The gear ratio can be up to 71:33, with a possible input shaft rotation of 125 RPM and torque of 66 Nm plus losses. More information, such as a diagram or flowchart, may be needed to determine the size and number of teeth for the driving and driven gears.
Isaac_DB19
I have a system that consists of a shaft and two selected gears.

I want the shaft to be rotating at 250 RPM and to deliver an input power to the system of 850W.
The input torque at the shaft is 71Nm.

How can i use this information to determine how large my driving and driven gears will be, as well as determining the number of teeth that i would use on each gear.

Engineering news on Phys.org
[I think you need to provide more information. A diagram or maybe a flowchart showing the inputs and outputs marking known requirements with their values and any known inputs.]

Edit: Oops! Misread your Q.
You want 850W at 250 RPM and have 71 Nm available.
Your output is about 33 Nm, so your gear ratio can be up to 71:33 depending on losses. Maybe 2:1 would be enough?
Your input shaft would therefore rotate at 125 RPM with atorque of 66 Nm + losses

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule
Isaac_DB19 said:
I want the shaft to be rotating at 250 RPM and to deliver an input power to the system of 850W. The input torque at the shaft is 71Nm.

That's not at all clear and looks inconsistent..

You say you "want the shaft to be rotating at 250 RPM" and the torque "at the shaft is 71Nm" ? That means you need a load on the shaft of 1860W.

250rpm = 26.2 Rads/S
Power = 26.2 * 71 = 1860W

Edit: sorry my spaces have not worked. It was tabulated.
I don't know how to delete the whole post, so I've deleted the mess! And I don't have time now to re post in another form.

1. How do you calculate the number of gear teeth?

The number of gear teeth can be calculated using the formula T = N x Z, where T is the total number of teeth, N is the number of revolutions of the driven gear, and Z is the number of teeth on the driver gear.

2. What is the purpose of determining the number of gear teeth?

Determining the number of gear teeth is important for designing and manufacturing gears that are compatible and can properly transfer motion and power between them.

3. Are there any other factors that affect the number of gear teeth?

Yes, the pitch diameter and module (or diametral pitch) of the gears also play a role in determining the number of teeth needed for proper gear meshing.

4. Can the number of gear teeth be changed after the gears are manufactured?

No, the number of gear teeth is a fixed characteristic of a gear and cannot be changed without altering the entire gear design and manufacturing process.

5. How does the number of gear teeth affect the gear ratio?

The gear ratio is directly proportional to the number of gear teeth. A larger number of teeth on the driver gear compared to the driven gear will result in a higher gear ratio and vice versa.