Determining Valve Size for Natural Gas: V250 Rotary Ball Valve Calculation

• Thread starter gillmitch92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Valve
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the valve size for a V250 rotary ball valve by Fisher Controls International, specifically for natural gas flow with certain properties. The conversation also mentions the need to find the ratio between the required volumetric flow rate and the density of the valve as a first step in the calculation process. A link is provided for further reference on valve flow calculation and sizing.
gillmitch92
I am struggling with calculating the valve size from a V250 rotary ball valve by Fisher Controls International. The below table states that natural gas is running through the vavle and the following properties apply:Natural Gas

Required volumetric flow rate [@ STP] 2.8 x 106 litre per minute
Density [@ STP] 0.752 kg per m3
Specific heat ratio 1.31
Inlet pressure 20 bar gauge
Outlet pressure 6 bar gauge
Inlet Temperature 20 °C

Would I be right in thinking that I need to find the ratio between the required volumetric flow rate and the density of the valve first?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.forberg.com/pdf/techSup/Home_Tech%20Support_Valve%20Flow_calc_and_sizing.pdf

Likes gillmitch92
Dr. Courtney said:
http://www.forberg.com/pdf/techSup/Home_Tech%20Support_Valve%20Flow_calc_and_sizing.pdf

Thank you very much for the link - I'll take a look @ it.

1. What factors should be considered when determining valve size?

When determining valve size, it is important to consider the flow rate, fluid type and temperature, pressure drop, and the size and type of piping that the valve will be installed in.

2. How do I calculate the required valve size for a specific application?

The required valve size can be calculated using the flow rate, fluid properties, and the pressure drop across the valve. There are several equations and online calculators available to help with this calculation.

3. Can I use the same valve size for all applications?

No, different applications may have different flow rates, fluid properties, and pressure drops, which will require different valve sizes. It is important to properly calculate and select the appropriate valve size for each application.

4. What happens if I choose the wrong valve size?

If the valve size is too small, it may not be able to handle the required flow rate, causing excessive pressure drop and potential damage to the valve and piping. If the valve size is too large, it may not operate efficiently and can lead to increased costs and decreased performance.

5. Are there any industry standards for determining valve size?

Yes, there are various industry standards such as API, ASME, and ISO that provide guidelines and equations for determining valve size. It is important to follow these standards to ensure proper sizing and selection of valves for different applications.