Determining Vector and Parametric Eqns

Ok, thank youIn summary, the question is asking for vector and parametric equations for a line passing through the points M(4,5) and N(9,5). The direction of the line can be described from either M to N or N to M.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
M(4,5) and N(9,5)
To find the direction vector, is it M-N or N-M?
Relevant Equations
Not Available
-

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on which direction you want.

The question states "A line passes through the points M(4, 5) and N(9, 5). Determine vector and parametric equations for this
line."

So it's M to N? Meaning M-N?

ttpp1124 said:
The question states "A line passes through the points M(4, 5) and N(9, 5). Determine vector and parametric equations for this
line."

So it's M to N? Meaning M-N?

Does a line have a direction?

PeroK said:
Does a line have a direction?
No, not always

ttpp1124 said:
No, not always
In this case you get to choose, right? You can choose to describe the line from ##M## to ##N## or from ##N## to ##M##.

PeroK said:
In this case you get to choose, right? You can choose to describe the line from ##M## to ##N## or from ##N## to ##M##.
Ok, thank you

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that represents a vector in terms of its components. It is written in the form of v = a1i + a2j + a3k, where v is the vector, a1, a2, and a3 are the components, and i, j, and k are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

2. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that represent the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters. It is written in the form of x = f(t), y = g(t), and z = h(t), where x, y, and z are the coordinates, t is the parameter, and f, g, and h are functions.

3. What is the relationship between vector and parametric equations?

A vector equation can be converted into a set of parametric equations by expressing each component in terms of a parameter. For example, the vector equation v = 2i + 3j + 4k can be written as x = 2t, y = 3t, and z = 4t, where t is the parameter.

4. How do you determine the vector equation from a set of parametric equations?

To determine the vector equation from a set of parametric equations, you can simply express each coordinate in terms of the unit vectors i, j, and k. For example, the parametric equations x = 2t, y = 3t, and z = 4t can be written as v = 2i + 3j + 4k.

5. How are vector and parametric equations used in real-world applications?

Vector and parametric equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent the motion of objects, the trajectory of projectiles, and the shape of curves and surfaces. They are also used in computer programming to create 3D models and animations.