Deuterium and Tritium Density

In summary, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the density of gaseous deuterium and tritium if the substances are isotopically pure. The molar mass of each gas is 4 g/mol for deuterium and 6 g/mol for tritium.
nwfusor
Hey,
I've been searching around online, and I can't find anything on the individual densities of D2 an T3, only the mean density of all hydrogen isotopes.
Thanks,
NWFusor

Physics news on Phys.org
nwfusor said:
Hey,
I've been searching around online, and I can't find anything on the individual densities of D2 an T3, only the mean density of all hydrogen isotopes.
Thanks,
NWFusor
Are you talking densities for the liquid phase or something?

The density of the gaseous phase should be determined by using the ideal gas law, knowing the pressure and the temperature of the gas, if the substance is isotopically pure.

Here is how the ideal gas law is manipulated to give density:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU7EfPGEIy3SMwESfJbyT5I5uPvrBTv6OfYDl06WzeWMClQVDvoQ.png

D - density of the gas, grams / liter or kg / m3
M - molar mass of the gas
P - absolute pressure of the gas.
T - absolute temperature of the gas (° K)
R - universal gas constant (varies depending on the units of absolute pressure used)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_constant

For deuterium, M = 4 g / mol (each molecule is D2) while for tritium, M = 6 g / mol (each molecule is T2), for isotopically pure substances.

The molar mass of a mixture of the two gasses would be calculated based on the partial pressures of each gas in the sample.

1. What is deuterium and tritium density?

Deuterium and tritium density refers to the amount of deuterium and tritium atoms present in a given volume of material. These are two isotopes of hydrogen, with deuterium having one neutron and tritium having two neutrons in their nuclei.

2. How is deuterium and tritium density measured?

Deuterium and tritium density can be measured using various techniques such as mass spectrometry, neutron activation analysis, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. These methods involve analyzing the number of deuterium and tritium atoms present in a sample and calculating the density based on the sample's volume.

3. What is the significance of deuterium and tritium density?

Deuterium and tritium density play a crucial role in nuclear fusion reactions, where these isotopes are used as fuel. The density of deuterium and tritium in a fusion reactor must be high enough to sustain a fusion reaction and produce energy.

4. How does the density of deuterium and tritium affect nuclear fusion reactions?

The higher the density of deuterium and tritium, the more energy can be produced in a fusion reaction. This is because a higher density means more atoms are packed closely together, resulting in more frequent collisions and a higher chance of fusion reactions occurring.

5. What is the ideal density of deuterium and tritium for nuclear fusion reactions?

The ideal density of deuterium and tritium for nuclear fusion reactions is around 10^14 particles per cubic centimeter. This density is considered optimal for achieving a sustainable fusion reaction and generating significant amounts of energy.