Why Is My Matrix Not Diagonal After Transformation?

In summary: So ##U^\dagger A U## is diagonal.In summary, the process of forming a unitary matrix from the eigenvectors of ##\sigma_y## and using that unitary matrix to diagonalize ##\sigma_y## involves the matrix ##U^\dagger A U##, where ##U## is a matrix formed from the eigenvectors of ##\sigma_y## and ##A## is the original matrix. This results in a diagonal matrix and any mistakes in the process may be due to a failure to use the correct order of multiplication.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Form unitary matrix from eigen vectors of ##\sigma_y## and using that unitary matrix diagonalize ##\sigma_y##.
[tex]
\sigma_y=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & -i & \\
i & 0 & \\

\end{bmatrix}[/tex][/B]

Homework Equations

Eigen vectors of ##\sigma_y## are
[tex]
\vec{X}_1=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
i \\

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]
\vec{X}_2=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
-i \\

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure, where I am making a mistake. Unitary matrix ##U## is defined by
[tex]
U=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & \\
i & -i & \\

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
whereas
[tex]
U^{\dagger}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & -i & \\
1 & i & \\

\end{bmatrix}[/tex].
And somehow

##U \sigma_y U^{\dagger}##
is not diagonal. Is there any explanation? Where I am making a mistake?

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
##U \sigma_y U^{\dagger}##
is not diagonal. Is there any explanation? Where I am making a mistake?

If ##U## is formed from the eigenvectors of ##\sigma_y##, then ##U^\dagger \sigma_y U## will be diagonal, not ##U \sigma_y U^\dagger##

In general, let ##A## be a square matrix, and let ##u_1##, ##u_2## etc. be eigenvectors with eigenvalues ##\lambda_1##, ##\lambda_2##, etc. Then let ##U## be the matrix formed by sticking the eigenvectors together: ##U = \left( \begin{array}\\ u_1 & u_2 & ...\end{array} \right)##. Then ##A U## will be the matrix

##A U = \left( \begin{array}\\ \lambda_1 u_1 & \lambda_2 u_2 & ...\end{array} \right)##.

Then ##U^\dagger## will be the matrix ##U^\dagger = \left( \begin{array}\\ u_1^\dagger \\ u_2^\dagger \\ . \\ . \\. \end{array} \right)##

So since ##u_n^\dagger u_m = 0## or ##1##, depending on whether ##n=m##, you will have:

##U^\dagger A U## will be the matrix ##U^\dagger = \left( \begin{array}\\ \lambda_1 & 0 & ...\\ 0 & \lambda_2 & 0 & ... \\ 0 & 0 & \lambda_3 & ... \\ . \\. \end{array} \right)##

What is diagonalization of a matrix?

Diagonalization of a matrix is a process of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix, through a change of basis. This allows for easier computation and analysis of the matrix.

Why is diagonalization important?

Diagonalization is important because it allows for easier computation of matrix operations, such as finding powers and inverses. It also helps in analyzing the properties and behavior of the original matrix.

What are the steps involved in diagonalization?

The steps involved in diagonalization are:

1. Finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix
  2. Constructing the diagonal matrix using the eigenvalues
  3. Finding the inverse of the matrix of eigenvectors
  4. Multiplying the diagonal matrix with the inverse matrix of eigenvectors to get the diagonalized form

Can any matrix be diagonalized?

No, not all matrices can be diagonalized. A matrix can only be diagonalized if it has a complete set of linearly independent eigenvectors. If the matrix does not have enough eigenvectors, it cannot be diagonalized.

What are some applications of diagonalization in science?

Diagonalization has various applications in science, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used in solving systems of differential equations, analyzing complex systems, and finding optimal solutions in optimization problems. It is also used in data compression and dimensionality reduction in data analysis.