Did I Solve the Integral Test Correctly for This Question?

In summary, the homework statement claims that when a>0, the integral with new bounds from 0 to b converges to 1/a^2. However, the attempt at a solution claimed that it converges to 1/a^2 when infinity is set as the boundary. After redoing the problem, the limit was found to be b*(-a), which when plugged into the l'Hopital equation, goes to -infinity.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Took a test today, one question I am not sure I got right.

[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} te^{-at}dt[/itex], when a>0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set let infinity be b, then took the limit as b went to infinity of the integral with new bounds from 0 to b. My solution claimed that it converges to 1/a^2. Is this correct or should I expect to miss that question?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

Took a test today, one question I am not sure I got right.

[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} te^{-at}dt[/itex], when a>0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set let infinity be b, then took the limit as b went to infinity of the integral with new bounds from 0 to b. My solution claimed that it converges to 1/a^2. Is this correct or should I expect to miss that question?

List your steps and we can tell you if you made a mistake.

Ok, I'll take that as an "it's incorrect".

I'll redo the problem now and post it here in a little while.

QuarkCharmer said:
Ok, I'll take that as an "it's incorrect".

I'll redo the problem now and post it here in a little while.

I'm not saying that. The onus is on you to show your work so we can see what you did and if your method/answer is correct.

Last edited:
It's no problem. I just got home so I will redo it, I made sure to memorize the question after I turned it in because it was giving me a hard time with it's recursive limit.

2dtty77.jpg

I keep on L'hopitaling, and it keeps on repeating! Finally I somehow worked it out to tend towards zero, so the solution was that it converges to [itex]\frac{1}{a^{2}}[/itex]. Unless I made another mistake that is, and provided, that limit actually does tend to zero. I think my logic was that numerator went to zero, and the denominator went to zero, so really it didn't matter if it was a type o/o indeterminate, I believe that it what I was thinking anyway.

Here is the limit that I don't know how to solve.
[tex]lim_{b \to \infty} \frac{be^{-ab}}{-a}[/tex]

Last edited:
The only part you need to care about is limit b->inf b*exp(-ab). Take the log. So you've got log(b)-ab. Factor it into b*(log(b)/b-a). Use l'Hopital to show limit log(b)/b goes to zero. So you are left with b*(-a) since a>0. Now goes to -infinity, yes? If log goes to -infinity then b*exp(-ab) goes to zero. Still ok?

Dick said:
The only part you need to care about is limit b->inf b*exp(-ab)...

But it's [itex]lim_{b \to \infty}be^{-ab}[/itex] ?

QuarkCharmer said:
But it's [itex]lim_{b \to \infty}be^{-ab}[/itex] ?

I mean exp(-ab) to be e^(-ab). Not sure what the question is? Sorry about the failure to correctly TeX things up.

I read that as [itex]b^{-ab}[/itex], I didn't know that pxp(m) means p^m, sorry.

I don't understand what you mean when you say to take the log? It looks like you just take the log of the numerator?

QuarkCharmer said:
I read that as [itex]b^{-ab}[/itex], I didn't know that pxp(m) means p^m, sorry.

I don't understand what you mean when you say to take the log? It looks like you just take the log of the numerator?

I was just writing exp(x) instead of e^x. Don't worry if you haven't seen it before. Yes, you can just work with the numerator. The denominator is just a constant.

Related to Did I Solve the Integral Test Correctly for This Question?

1. What is the integral test correction?

The integral test correction is a mathematical technique used to evaluate the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series with an improper integral and determining if the integral converges or diverges.

2. When should the integral test correction be used?

The integral test correction should be used when the terms of a series cannot be easily evaluated or when it is difficult to determine the convergence or divergence of the series using other tests.

3. How does the integral test correction work?

The integral test correction works by comparing the series with an improper integral, which involves finding the area under a curve. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges.

4. What is the relationship between the integral test correction and the p-series test?

The integral test correction can be seen as an extension of the p-series test. Both tests involve comparing a series with an improper integral, but the p-series test is limited to series of the form 1/n^p while the integral test correction can be applied to a wider range of series.

5. Are there any limitations to the integral test correction?

Yes, there are some limitations to the integral test correction. It can only be used for series with positive terms and the integral used for comparison must also have positive values. Additionally, the integral test correction may not always provide a conclusive result for some series.