Diff eq, power series solns, how do i determine how many terms to pull?

In summary, to find two power series solutions of the given differential equation about the ordinary point x=0, set up the equation using summation notation and combine the two series to eliminate the constant term in the second series. The number of terms does not matter as long as the value of the index is the same for both series.
channel1

Homework Statement

find 2 power series solutions of the given diff eq about the ordinary point x = 0
y'' - xy = 0

Homework Equations

y = (c_0)(y_1)[x] + (c_1)(y_2)[x]

The Attempt at a Solution

i can set it up to this (sorry idk out how to insert the subscripts with the summation symbols)

{sum n=2} [n (n-1) (c_n) (x ^(n-2) ) ] - {sum n=0} [(c_n) (x ^(n+1) ) ] = 0

but I am not sure how to determine how many terms i need to pull from each series

also, does it matter how many terms i pull so long as my value for k is the same for each series?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can click on the equation below to see how to write the equation:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)c_n x^{n-2} - \sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n x^{n+1} = 0[/tex]

The first series starts with a constant term, but the second series begins with the x1 term, so pull the constant term out of the first series and then combine the rest with the terms of the second series.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a dependent variable changes in relation to one or more independent variables. It involves derivatives and is used to model many natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What are power series solutions?

A power series solution is a method of solving a differential equation by expressing the solution as an infinite series of powers of the independent variable. This allows for more accurate approximations of the solution and can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations.

3. How can I determine the number of terms to pull in a power series solution?

The number of terms to pull in a power series solution depends on the degree of accuracy required for the solution. Generally, the more terms that are pulled, the more accurate the solution will be. However, it is important to consider the computational complexity and convergence of the series when determining the number of terms to use.

4. Can power series solutions be used for all differential equations?

No, power series solutions are typically used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. They may also be used for some nonlinear differential equations that can be approximated as linear within a certain range.

5. Are there any limitations to using power series solutions?

While power series solutions can provide accurate approximations for many differential equations, they do have some limitations. They may not always be convergent for all values of the independent variable, and they may not be able to capture all possible solutions of a differential equation. Additionally, they can be computationally intensive for higher order differential equations.