Diff Eqs for a block moving sideways down a plane

Thanks for pointing that out!In summary, the problem discusses a block being kicked on a plane with an initial speed V and asks for the speed of the block down the plane after a long time if the coefficient of friction is tan \theta. A possible solution is presented using the equations of motion for the x and y directions, but it is later found that the assumption of the total speed being constant is incorrect. The conversation then moves on to discussing the mistake and how to proceed with solving the problem correctly.
joej24

Homework Statement

I was looking at the problem discussed in the thread below.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=502417

A block is initially kicked in the direction perpendicular to the downslope of the plane with initial speed V.
The problem asks for the speed of the block down the plane after a long time if the coeff of friction is [itex] tan \theta [/itex].

Homework Equations

The thread I posted above mentions using the fact that [itex] \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} + v_y = C[/itex], where C is a constant, since the speed gained in the y-direction will be equal to the speed lost overall.

C is initially V. Eventually [itex] v_x [/itex] goes to zero and [itex] v_y [/itex] goes to [itex] v_f [/itex]. So
[itex] v_f + v_f = V [/itex] and the speed down the plane after a long period of time is [itex] \frac{V}{2} [/itex]

However, I am interested if this problem can be solved in another way, using the equations of motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

If [itex] \gamma = arctan \frac{v_y}{v_x} [/itex], then the equations of motion for the x (perpendicular to the downslope) and y (down the slope) directions respectively will be

[itex] -mg\,sin\theta\, cos \gamma = m \ddot x[/itex]
[itex] mg\,sin\theta - mg\,sin\theta\, sin\gamma = m \ddot y[/itex]

These simplify to

[itex] \frac {-gsin\theta}{\sqrt{\frac{v_y^2}{v_x^2} + 1}} = \ddot x [/itex]
[itex] gsin\theta \,(1-\frac{\frac{v_y}{v_x}}{\sqrt{\frac{v_y^2}{v_x^2} +1 }}) = \ddot y [/itex]

Also, [itex] v_y = \dot y [/itex] and [itex] v_x = \dot x [/itex]. The total speed, V = [itex] v_y^2 + v_x^2 [/itex], is constant too. So we further can further simplify the equations to these:

[tex] \frac{-gsin\theta}{V} \dot x = \ddot x [/tex]
[tex] gsin\theta \,(1-\frac{\dot y}{V}) = \ddot y [/tex]

I am wondering how to proceed in solving these equations. I am trying to find [itex] \dot y [/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
joej24 said:
[tex] \frac{-gsin\theta}{V} \dot x = \ddot x [/tex]
[tex] gsin\theta \,(1-\frac{\dot y}{V}) = \ddot y [/tex]

I am wondering how to proceed in solving these equations. I am trying to find [itex] \dot y [/itex].

You can't take the next step algebraically and solve for [itex]\dot y[/itex]?

Also, shouldn't The total speed be [itex]v^2 = v^2_y+v^2_x[/itex]?

Right, the total speed should be [itex] v^2 [/itex], not [itex] v [/itex]. Then the square root makes it [itex] v [/itex].

Seperating the equation for [itex] \dot y [/itex],
[tex] \dot y \, = \, v \, (1 \, - \, \frac{\ddot y}{g\,sin\theta}) [/tex].

As t -> [itex] \infty [/itex], [itex] \ddot y [/itex] -> 0 because the block will be moving straight down the incline. This can't be correct though, because that would mean [itex] \dot y [/itex] -> [itex]v[/itex].

Finding [itex] y(t) [/itex] isn't as hard as I thought. I can integrate both sides of the motion equation to obtain [itex] v \,( t - \frac{\dot y}{g\,sin\theta}) = y + y_0 [/itex]. But we can say that [itex] y(0) = 0 [/itex] to get rid of the [itex] y_0 [/itex] term.

Then I rearrange the terms to get [itex] \dot y + (\frac {g\,sin\theta}{v}) \, y = (g\,sin\theta)\,t [/itex].
This is a first order linear diff eq that's solvable.

[itex] y = Ce^{-\frac{g\,sin\theta}{v} t} + e^{-\frac{g\,sin\theta}{v} t} \int (g\,sin\theta) \,t \, e^{\frac{g\,sin\theta}{v} t} [/itex]

I simplified this down to
[itex] y = vt - \frac{v^2}{g\,sin\theta} + Ce^{\frac{-g\,sin\theta}{v}t} [/itex]

So,

[itex] \dot y = v - \frac{g\,sin\theta}{v} C e^{\frac{-g\,sin\theta}{v}t} [/itex].

But, this also suggests that [itex] \dot y [/itex] goes to [itex] v [/itex] instead of [itex] \frac{v}{2} [/itex].

joej24 said:

Homework Statement

I was looking at the problem discussed in the thread below.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=502417

A block is initially kicked in the direction perpendicular to the downslope of the plane with initial speed V.
The problem asks for the speed of the block down the plane after a long time if the coeff of friction is [itex] tan \theta [/itex].

However, I am interested if this problem can be solved in another way, using the equations of motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

If [itex] \gamma = arctan \frac{v_y}{v_x} [/itex], then the equations of motion for the x (perpendicular to the downslope) and y (down the slope) directions respectively will be

[itex] -mg\,sin\theta\, cos \gamma = m \ddot x[/itex]
[itex] mg\,sin\theta - mg\,sin\theta\, sin\gamma = m \ddot y[/itex]

These simplify to

[itex] \frac {-gsin\theta}{\sqrt{\frac{v_y^2}{v_x^2} + 1}} = \ddot x [/itex]
[itex] gsin\theta \,(1-\frac{\frac{v_y}{v_x}}{\sqrt{\frac{v_y^2}{v_x^2} +1 }}) = \ddot y [/itex]

Also, [itex] v_y = \dot y [/itex] and [itex] v_x = \dot x [/itex]. The total speed, V = [itex] v_y^2 + v_x^2 [/itex], is constant too.

Why should be the total speed constant?

ehild

I think the whole premiss that C as defined at the OP is a constant is just pain wrong. Why would that be the case?

ehild said:
Why should be the total speed constant?
ehild

That's a mistake. I realize now that total speed + [itex] v_y [/itex] is a constant, [itex] \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} + v_y = C [/itex]. I will check out the link you posted, which is the same problem, and try to redo my math.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of a system over time.

2. How are differential equations used in the context of a block moving sideways down a plane?

In this scenario, differential equations are used to model the motion of the block on the plane. The differential equation will include variables such as the mass of the block, the slope of the plane, and the force of gravity.

3. Can you provide an example of a differential equation for a block moving sideways down a plane?

One example of a differential equation for this scenario is: m * d^2x/dt^2 = m * g * sin(theta) - mu * m * g * cos(theta), where m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, theta is the angle of the plane, and mu is the coefficient of friction.

4. How can differential equations be solved for a block moving sideways down a plane?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. In this scenario, the specific method used will depend on the form and complexity of the differential equation.

5. What information can be obtained from solving a differential equation for a block moving sideways down a plane?

Solving the differential equation will provide information about the motion of the block, such as its position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time. This information can be used to make predictions about the future behavior of the block on the plane.