Differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance

In summary, the conversation revolves around deriving A by substituting x and expanding the equation, while also getting rid of the δ and cosine and sine terms. The expert advises to leave (omega*t-delta) alone while calculating derivatives and to expand the cosine and sine terms before equating them to the right-hand side of the equation. The expert also clarifies that there is no partial differentiation involved and that the phase angle δ is constant with respect to time. The expert suggests using the angle difference formulas and solving for the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the left-hand side in order to determine A. The conversation ends with the person successfully deriving A and thanking the expert for their help.
MissP.25_5
How do I derive A? As you can see in the attachment, I tried to substitute x and expand the equation but I got stuck. How do I get rid of the δ and cos and sin to get the result in the end? Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_4424.jpg
    IMG_4424.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
I would leave (omega*t-delta) alone while calculating the various derivatives. The sines and cosines with this argument do not need expanding until you have done you calculations.

SteamKing said:
I would leave (omega*t-delta) alone while calculating the various derivatives. The sines and cosines with this argument do not need expanding until you have done you calculations.

OK, what do I do next? I don't expand it, and here's what I got.

Attachments

• IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 426
Where did the plain 'ω' come from in the last line of your calculations?

Specifically, the term (ωe^2 - ω^2)?

Disregard last post. I see now.

MissP.25_5 said:
OK, what do I do next? I don't expand it, and here's what I got.

Now you expand the cosine and sine terms and equate same to the RHS of the equation.
In your first attempt, you differentiated δ w.r.t. time. This was incorrect. The phase angle δ is constant w.r.t. time, which was one reason your original derivation got so unwieldy.

SteamKing said:
Now you expand the cosine and sine terms and equate same to the RHS of the equation.
In your first attempt, you differentiated δ w.r.t. time. This was incorrect. The phase angle δ is constant w.r.t. time, which was one reason your original derivation got so unwieldy.

So, you're saying that I don't have to bother the one with the delta? That would mean doing partial differentiation, right?

There is no partial differential involved. If you take the derivative of cos(ωt-δ), you will get -ω*sin(ωt-δ). The δ represents a constant phase angle; it is not a function of t.

Now that you have your LHS in terms of sin and cos, now is the time to expand, for instance, cos(ωt-δ) using the angle difference formulas. You then solve for the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the LHS which correspond to whatever sine and cosine terms you have on the RHS.

SteamKing said:
There is no partial differential involved. If you take the derivative of cos(ωt-δ), you will get -ω*sin(ωt-δ). The δ represents a constant phase angle; it is not a function of t.

Now that you have your LHS in terms of sin and cos, now is the time to expand, for instance, cos(ωt-δ) using the angle difference formulas. You then solve for the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the LHS which correspond to whatever sine and cosine terms you have on the RHS.

So you mean, equate LHS and RHS and then substitute them back into the equation? But the right hand side only has F/cos(ω_e*t).

Look at these notes:

http://web.pdx.edu/~larosaa/Ph-223/Lecture-Notes-Ph-213/PH-213_Chapter-15_FORCED_OSCILLATIONS_and-RESONANCE_%28complete-version%29.pdf

By the time you get to p. 6, you should see the method illustrated.

SteamKing said:

Ok, now what should I do? The right hand side only has cos(w_e*t). And even so, if I did equate the sin and cosine, what should I do with it? I would still have cos(w_e*t) on the right side, don't I?

Attachments

• IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 425
If you read the attached notes from post#10, you would see how to handle this.

SteamKing said:
If you read the attached notes from post#10, you would see how to handle this.

Thanks for the post. That really hepls a ton. But my answer is a little different. How come my denominator and numerator are inverted?

Attachments

• IMG_4488.jpg
    IMG_4488.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
It's hard to tell from your posted calculations. After expanding the cosine and sine terms which contain the phase angle δ, on the LHS there will be sin δ and cos δ terms mixed in with the cos(ωet) and sin (ωet) terms. You use the phase angle triangle to determine sin δ and cos δ in terms of the other known quantities before solving for A.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
It's hard to tell from your posted calculations. After expanding the cosine and sine terms which contain the phase angle δ, on the LHS there will be sin δ and cos δ terms mixed in with the cos(ωet) and sin (ωet) terms. You use the phase angle triangle to determine sin δ and cos δ in terms of the other known quantities before solving for A.

But in my calculation, I already determined the sin δ and cos δ, see I drew the triangle?

SteamKing said:

Hey, I got it!Look! Thank you soooo much!

Attachments

• IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

Related to Differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance

What are differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance?

Differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance are mathematical representations of the motion of a system that is under the influence of an external force. They describe how the system responds to the force and how it oscillates over time.

What is the importance of studying differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance?

Studying differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems, such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

What factors affect the behavior of a system described by differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance?

The behavior of a system described by differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance is affected by the frequency and amplitude of the external force, the mass and stiffness of the system, and the damping factor. These factors determine the amplitude and phase of the system's oscillations.

What is resonance and how does it relate to forced oscillation?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an external force is applied to a system at its natural frequency, causing the system to oscillate with a large amplitude. In the context of forced oscillation, resonance can occur when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the system, resulting in a significant increase in amplitude.

How can differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance be solved?

Differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance can be solved using various methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve manipulating the equations to find a general solution that satisfies the initial conditions of the system.