Finding the parallel resonance formula

In summary, the author is having trouble with getting the right result in a little example, and would like some help. They've tried splitting the fraction inside the root but are not getting there. They've tried using a reminder of what they currently have in their original post and are getting close to achieving what they want. Finally, they mention that if you use dimensions the way most EEs do, the equations don't make sense.
arhzz
Homework Statement
Find the formula for the parallel resonance
Relevant Equations
The Admittance
Hello! I'm having trouble with getting the right result in this litle example. Consider this admittance

$$ C + Cs - w^2_{pr} CCs $$ Now to get the resonance we need to set the imaginary part of the admittance 0.I did that like this

$$0 = C + Cs - w^2_{pr} CCs $$ Now I need to get ## w^2 ## I've added the ## -w^2 CCs ## to both sides of the equation. Now I have this

$$ w^2 LCCs = C+Cs $$ Now I put the LCCs on the other side of the equation
$$ w^2 = \frac{C+Cs}{LCCs} $$ Now get rid of the square on the left and we get this
$$ w = \sqrt{\frac{C+Cs}{LCCS}} $$ And now I'd assume some simplifications are made because the result looks like this

$$ w = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}\sqrt{ 1 + \frac{C}{Cs}} $$

I've tried splitting the fraciton inside the root to simplify but I am not getting there.Some help would be great,thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it help if you could do something like this?
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{8}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \cdot 4}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}$$

Joshy said:
Would it help if you could do something like this?
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{8}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \cdot 4}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}$$
Well it certainly would but I am not seeing such a scenario here? I don't have 1 over something and I don't know if I can split anyting the way you split the root of 8.

Well, in your final answer or what you're trying to massage it to you have a ##1/\sqrt{LC}##. Is it possible from the step you have before that... to pull out a ##1/\sqrt{LC}##?

Just a reminder of what you currently have in your original post, right?
$$\omega = \sqrt{ \frac{C + C_{S}}{LC \cdot C_{S}} } = \sqrt{ \frac{1}{LC} \frac{C + C_{S}}{C_{S}}}$$

Joshy said:
Well, in your final answer or what you're trying to massage it to you have a ##1/\sqrt{LC}##. Is it possible from the step you have before that... to pull out a ##1/\sqrt{LC}##?

Just a reminder of what you currently have in your original post, right?
$$\omega = \sqrt{ \frac{C + C_{S}}{LC \cdot C_{S}} } = \sqrt{ \frac{1}{LC} \frac{C + C_{S}}{C_{S}}}$$
$$ \omega = \sqrt{\frac{C+C_{S}}{LC \cdot C_{S}}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} \cdot \sqrt{ 1 + \frac{C}{C_{S}}} $$

This is what I need to "show" or achieve if you will.Your post is close,we could split the root but we would have ## \frac{C+Cs}{Cs} ## and it should be ## 1 + \frac{C}{Cs} ##

Is there another way you can write?
$$\frac{C + C_S}{C_S}$$
You're almost there.

I must admit that I do not understand your equations at all.
Is "C" an admittance? And what about "w²CCs" ? Also an admittance? Both appear within one formula...

Likes DaveE
I know a lot about resonant circuits, yet your presentation of this problem has greatly exceeded my interest in deciphering your work. You'll get better answers if you ask better questions.

There appears to be some problems with dimensions, or with my interpretation of what L, C, ω, or s are. If you use those the way most EEs do then your equations don't make sense. For example, I would bet that no one reading this knows what ##ω^2_{pr}## is; although you imply it's also equal to ##ω^2L##, whatever that is.

Joshy said:
Is there another way you can write?
$$\frac{C + C_S}{C_S}$$
You're almost there.
Ah I got it $$ \frac{C}{Cs} + \frac{Cs}{Cs} $$ the second fraction will cancel out leaving me with

$$\frac{C}{Cs} + 1 $$

Thanks !

DaveE said:
I know a lot about resonant circuits, yet your presentation of this problem has greatly exceeded my interest in deciphering your work. You'll get better answers if you ask better questions.

There appears to be some problems with dimensions, or with my interpretation of what L, C, ω, or s are. If you use those the way most EEs do then your equations don't make sense. For example, I would bet that no one reading this knows what ##ω^2_{pr}## is; although you imply it's also equal to ##ω^2L##, whatever that is.
Maybe I rushed it a little,this is just the last part of a pretty big example (with a circuit ).I was not sure what to put in the title of my question because the only problem I was facing is just the math to get the simplification.

I think you were fine. I'm glad you solved the problem :) great job

Likes arhzz

1. What is the parallel resonance formula?

The parallel resonance formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the resonant frequency of a parallel resonant circuit. It takes into account the values of the inductance and capacitance in the circuit and is represented as fr = 1/(2π√(LC)), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

2. Why is the parallel resonance formula important?

The parallel resonance formula is important because it helps engineers and scientists design and analyze parallel resonant circuits. It allows them to determine the resonant frequency, which is a critical parameter in many electronic systems. It also helps in understanding the behavior of parallel resonant circuits and optimizing their performance.

3. How is the parallel resonance formula derived?

The parallel resonance formula is derived from the principles of resonance in electrical circuits. When a parallel resonant circuit is at its resonant frequency, the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive impedance. This is represented by the equation Z = R, where Z is the impedance and R is the resistance. By equating this with the equation for impedance in a parallel resonant circuit (Z = 1/(1/RL + 1/RC)), we can derive the parallel resonance formula.

4. Can the parallel resonance formula be used for any type of circuit?

No, the parallel resonance formula is only applicable to parallel resonant circuits, where the inductance and capacitance are connected in parallel. It cannot be used for series resonant circuits, where the inductance and capacitance are connected in series. Additionally, the formula assumes ideal components and may not be accurate for real-world circuits with non-ideal components.

5. How can the parallel resonance formula be applied in practical applications?

The parallel resonance formula can be used in various practical applications, such as designing and tuning radio frequency (RF) circuits, filters, and oscillators. It can also be used in power electronics for designing parallel resonant converters and inverters. In addition, the formula can be used for troubleshooting and analyzing the performance of parallel resonant circuits in electronic systems.