Differential Equations, Separable, Explicit Solution

So, I think it is incorrect. As for why they chose that one particular solution, I'm not entirely sure. It could be for simplicity or to match up with other solutions in the book. It's hard to say without context. But, the important thing is that you know how to solve it correctly and have verified that your solution satisfies the differential equation.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation, explicitly.

dy/dx = (2x)/(1+2y)

The answer given by the book is...

-1/2 + 1/2sqrt(2x - 2x^2 +4)

Homework Equations

Process for solving separable differential equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dx = (2x)/(1+2y)

(1 + 2y)*dy = 2x*dx

∫(1+2y)*dy = ∫2x*dx

y + y^2 = x^2 + C

I seem to have solved it, implicitly, but I see no way of solving it explicitly.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation, explicitly.

dy/dx = (2x)/(1+2y)

The answer given by the book is...

-1/2 + 1/2sqrt(2x - 2x^2 +4)

Homework Equations

Process for solving separable differential equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dx = (2x)/(1+2y)

(1 + 2y)*dy = 2x*dx

∫(1+2y)*dy = ∫2x*dx

y + y^2 = x^2 + C

I seem to have solved it, implicitly, but I see no way of solving it explicitly.
Use the quadratic formula to solve for y in terms of x. Note that the quadratic formula will give you two solutions. Your book seems to have chosen one of the solutions arbitrarily.

Mark44 said:
Use the quadratic formula to solve for y in terms of x. Note that the quadratic formula will give you two solutions. Your book seems to have chosen one of the solutions arbitrarily.

Ughhh, I thought about that, I just never applied it... Thank you so much for your help!

P.S. Should I use the C(constant) as the C in the quadratic formula? or just leave it on the other side with the x?

Is there an initial condition in your problem that you didn't include? The book's solution doesn't include the constant, which makes me suspect that they are using information not shown here.

Mark44 said:
Is there an initial condition in your problem that you didn't include? The book's solution doesn't include the constant, which makes me suspect that they are using information not shown here.

Yes, I'm sorry I forgot to include the initial condition, y(2) = 0

P.S. Never mind, I figured out how to do the quadratic with this equation!

Also, are you sure you wrote the problem down correctly? I don't get the same solution as you showed.

Mark44 said:
Also, are you sure you wrote the problem down correctly? I don't get the same solution as you showed.

This is the solution I ended up attempting...dy/dx = (2x)/(1+2y)

(1 + 2y)*dy = 2x*dx

∫(1+2y)*dy = ∫2x*dx

y + y^2 = x^2 + C

(initial condition) 0 + 0 = 2^2 + C, C = -4

y^2 + y + (4 - x^2) = 0

y = (-1 +/- sqrt(1-4*(4-x^2)))/2(1)

y = (-1 +/- sqrt(x^2 - 15))/2

y = -(1/2) +/- (1/2)sqrt(x^2-15)The only problem I'm having is, how did they know to only use the one solution, instead of both of them, we didn't learn about intervals of validity or anything yet.

Last edited:
You have what I got, which is different from the solution you posted. It's possible they have a typo in their answer, or even that it is just flat wrong. You can verify that your answer is correct by differentiating it to show the dy/dx = (2x)/(1 + 2y) is identically true. I checked the book's answer and it didn't satisfy the differential equation.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What does it mean for a differential equation to be separable?

A differential equation is separable if it can be written in the form of two separate functions multiplied together, with one function depending only on the independent variable and the other depending only on the dependent variable.

3. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides.

4. What is an explicit solution to a differential equation?

An explicit solution to a differential equation is a solution that is written in terms of the independent variable and does not contain any derivatives. It is a formula that can be directly evaluated at a specific value of the independent variable.

5. Can all differential equations be solved explicitly?

No, not all differential equations can be solved explicitly. Some equations have no explicit solution and must be solved numerically using methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.