Differential Gauss's Law & Coaxial Cable

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a long coaxial cable must have a neutral charge by finding the uniform volume charge density of the inner cylinder. The problem is solved using Gauss' Law to find the electric field in the region outside of both cylinders. The student asks for a hint on how to start the problem and the expert provides a simple hint, ending the conversation on a positive note.
Nekoteko

Homework Statement

A long coaxial cable consists of an inner solid cylinder, radius a, and an outer thin coaxial cylindrical shell, radius b. The outer shell carries a uniform surface charge density σ.
Find the uniform volume charge density ρ that the inner cylinder must have in order that the whole cable (inner + outer) is neutral.

Homework Equations

Acylinder = 2πbl

Vcylinder = πa2l

ρ = Q/V

∇∙E = ρ/ϵ0

Qenc = ∫Vρdτ

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I have all the relevant equations, yet, I still do not know how to start this. Any hints? Very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nekoteko,

The problem is asking you to find ρ such that the total charge in the inner cylinder is equal to the total charge on the outer cylinder.

Another way of saying this is: For what ρ does the electric field in the region outside of both cylinders equal zero?

Try using Gauss' Law to find the electric field in the region outside of both cylinders.

This is a very basic review problem for an upper-division electromagnetics course. If you have no idea how to start this, you must not have tried very hard. You need to show a decent effort before you receive help here.

lol Is there a reason you're so reluctant to help?

E_M_C, that's really all the hint I needed! It's so simple, not sure why I didn't see that yesterday. Thanks. :)

Nekoteko said:
lol Is there a reason you're so reluctant to help?
Yes, read the forum rules, the ones you agreed to when you registered here. Did you really need a hint to understand what the word neutral meant?

Lol I didn't ask for help to piss you off. What do you want me to do if I can't figure something out myself? I understand the forum rules, but if I needed help, I needed help, I don't care how stupid you think my question was (it was). Besides, not like I was asking anybody to solve it for me, just a hint is all I needed. And neutral isn't the problem I had w/ this question. Relax your internet authority, lol.

vela said:
This is a very basic review problem for an upper-division electromagnetics course. If you have no idea how to start this, you must not have tried very hard. You need to show a decent effort before you receive help here.

There's no need for that kind of behavior.

Nekoteko said:
E_M_C, that's really all the hint I needed! It's so simple, not sure why I didn't see that yesterday. Thanks. :)

You're very welcome :)

1. What is Differential Gauss's Law?

Differential Gauss's Law is a mathematical equation that relates the flow of electric charge through a closed surface to the amount of charge contained within that surface. It is a form of Gauss's Law that applies to electric fields that are not constant, meaning that the electric field varies in strength and direction throughout the surface.

2. How is Differential Gauss's Law different from Gauss's Law?

Differential Gauss's Law is a more generalized version of Gauss's Law, which only applies to situations where the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface. Differential Gauss's Law takes into account the changing electric field, making it applicable in more complex scenarios.

3. How is Differential Gauss's Law used in the study of electromagnetism?

Differential Gauss's Law is an important tool in the study of electromagnetism, as it allows scientists to calculate the electric field and electric flux in situations where the electric field is not constant. This information can then be used to understand and predict the behavior of electric charges and electric fields in various systems.

4. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of transmission line used to transfer radio frequency signals between two points. It consists of a central conductor, surrounded by an insulating material, which is then surrounded by a metallic shield and outer insulating jacket. Coaxial cables are commonly used in telecommunication systems, cable television, and computer networking.

5. How does a coaxial cable utilize Differential Gauss's Law?

The outer metallic shield of a coaxial cable is designed to create an electric field that is perpendicular to the surface of the cable. This allows for the use of Differential Gauss's Law to calculate the electric flux through the cable, which can then be used to determine the strength and direction of the electric field within the cable. This information is crucial in ensuring efficient and reliable transmission of signals through the cable.