Differentiate between rectangular beam and flange beam

In summary, the question is about differentiating between rectangular beams and flange beams and how to determine which one to use in certain conditions. The answer is that in this specific case, designing it as a flange beam is recommended due to the requirement of the beams and slab being cast together. However, in general, there is not enough definite information provided in problem statements so it ultimately comes down to the engineer's judgement and experience.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

How to differentiate between rectangular beam and flange beam ? In the question below , the answer provided is flange beam , I'm wondering can i design it as rectangular beam

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there's no clue whether the flange beam or rectangular beam , i think i can also design it as retcnagular beam . Correct me if i am wrong . [/B]

Attachments

• 790.PNG
    790.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 671
  • 791.PNG
    791.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 813
Physics news on Phys.org
As i read it, you need to design it both ways and then compare the two.

anorlunda said:
As i read it, you need to design it both ways and then compare the two.
ok , thanks for the answer ... how if other question ? Is there any specific clue that we should use flange or rectangular beam ? In what conditions , we should use flange beam ?

Part C of the question says find the "ultimate" design. That is meaningless unless you show a comparison of more than one design.

Likes tzx9633
anorlunda said:
Part C of the question says find the "ultimate" design. That is meaningless unless you show a comparison of more than one design.
how if other question ( not this question) ? Is there any specific clue that we should use flange or rectangular beam ? In what conditions , we should use flange beam ?

anorlunda said:
Since the question specifies that the beams and slab are cast together, can i say that the beam must be 100% flange beam ? IMO , the rectangular beam doesn't have beams and slab are cast together, am i right ?

You're beyond my expertise. I'll let someone else answer.

There just is not enough definite information given in the problem statement .

So it's down to @tzx9633's judgement - if designing this floor slab for real what would he use ? What is commonly used in such situations ?

That's how things work in engineering . There is seldom enough definite information provided at the start of a new project .

Likes tzx9633
Nidum said:

So it's down to @tzx9633's judgement - if designing this floor slab for real what would he use ? What is commonly used in such situations ?

That's how things work in engineering . There is seldom enough definite information provided at the start of a new project .
This is just a coursework question , it's just an question from the exercise ...Since the question specifies that the beams and slab are cast together, can i say that the beam must be 100% flange beam ??

Nidum said:

afaik , rectangular beam doesn't have beams and slab are cast together

tzx9633 said:
afaik , rectangular beam doesn't have beams and slab are cast together

That's a valid observation . So you can reasonably make the decision that it needs to be a flanged beam . That is what I would have decided on as well .

Really any beam being cast directly into a concrete slab has to have features which lock into the concrete . These features occur naturally in a flanged beam but would have to be provided as extras for any type of flat sided beam .

Likes tzx9633

What is the difference between a rectangular beam and a flange beam?

A rectangular beam is a type of beam that has a rectangular cross-section, with the width being greater than the height. A flange beam, on the other hand, has a cross-section that is shaped like an "I", with two horizontal flanges connected by a vertical web. In terms of structural design, rectangular beams are typically used for smaller, lighter loads while flange beams are used for heavier loads and longer spans.

What are the advantages of using a rectangular beam?

Rectangular beams are generally easier to manufacture and install compared to flange beams. They are also more cost-effective and can be used in a variety of applications, such as residential and commercial construction.

What are the advantages of using a flange beam?

Flange beams have a higher load-bearing capacity compared to rectangular beams, making them suitable for larger and more complex structures. They also have a greater resistance to bending and torsional forces, making them ideal for long spans and heavy loads.

What factors should be considered when choosing between a rectangular beam and a flange beam?

The choice between a rectangular beam and a flange beam depends on several factors, such as the span and load requirements, the type of structure, and the cost. Engineers also take into account the material properties, the structural design, and the construction process when deciding which beam to use.

Can a rectangular beam and a flange beam be used together in a structure?

Yes, it is common for both rectangular and flange beams to be used together in a structure, depending on the specific design requirements. For example, a flange beam may be used as the main load-bearing element while rectangular beams are used for secondary support or to provide additional stiffness to the structure.