Simply supported beam vs simply supported flange beam

• Thread starter tzx9633
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation is about designing a beam that is circled on a diagram. The question is whether it should be designed as a simply supported rectangular beam or a simply supported flange beam. The person asking the question is unsure and is seeking clarification. They believe it should be a simply supported rectangular beam, but are open to correction. They also ask for an explanation about the diagram and mention that there are three slabs involved.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

I want to design the beam as circled . I am wondering should I design it as a simply supported rectangular beam or simply supported flange beam
Someone told me that i should design it as simply supported flange beam . i doubt that it's correct .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be designed as simply supported rectangular beam . Correct me if i am wrong . [/B]

Attachments

• 752.png
    752.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-11-26_12-39-17.png

Could you please explain what that diagram is meant to represent ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-26_12-39-17.png
    upload_2017-11-26_12-39-17.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 747
Likes tzx9633
Nidum said:
View attachment 215643

Could you please explain what that diagram is meant to represent ?
there are 3 slabs here , i want to design the circled bottom beam

1. What is the difference between a simply supported beam and a simply supported flange beam?

A simply supported beam is a type of structural element that is supported at two points, typically at its ends. It is able to freely rotate at these points and transfer loads to its supports. A simply supported flange beam, on the other hand, has a wider top and bottom flange that provides additional strength and stiffness to the beam. This allows it to support heavier loads and span longer distances compared to a simply supported beam.

2. When should I use a simply supported beam versus a simply supported flange beam?

A simply supported beam is typically used in applications where the loads are relatively light and the span is relatively short. This could include small bridges, roof beams, or floor joists. A simply supported flange beam is more suitable for heavy loads and longer spans, making it suitable for larger bridges, industrial buildings, or high-rise structures.

3. What are the advantages of a simply supported flange beam?

The wider flanges of a simply supported flange beam provide increased strength and stiffness, allowing it to support heavier loads and span longer distances compared to a simply supported beam. This can result in cost savings as fewer beams are needed to support a structure. Additionally, the wider flanges can also provide more surface area for attaching other structural elements, such as columns or bracing.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a simply supported flange beam?

The main disadvantage of a simply supported flange beam is its increased weight and cost compared to a simply supported beam. The wider flanges also require more complex fabrication and may be more difficult to transport and install. In some cases, the additional stiffness of the flanges may also make it more prone to cracking under certain loading conditions.

5. How do I determine the appropriate beam type for my project?

The type of beam to use will depend on several factors, including the expected loads, span length, and available budget. Consulting with a structural engineer or using beam design software can help determine the most appropriate beam type for your specific project. It is important to consider all factors and choose the beam that will provide the necessary strength and stability for the structure.