Differentiating Inverse Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to differentiate inverse functions and solve for x in the equation f(x) = x^3 + 2x - 1 when a = 2. The solution involves finding f-1(2) = 1 and using the derivative of f(x) to calculate f-1'(x), which is equal to 1/5. There is also some discussion about the approach used to solve the equation and the role of the inverse function in finding the value of x.
BuBbLeS01
Please HELP...Differentiating Inverse Functions

Homework Statement

f(x) = x^3 + 2x - 1 when a=2

2. The attempt at a solution

I thought you did...
1/(f '(f-1(x)))
but I am not sure how to solve for x?

0=x^3 + 2x - 1
1=x^3 + 2x -1
I tried factoring but that did not work either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what are you looking for?

if it is f-1(a) when a = 2...

set the first equation equal to 2, which will happen when x = 1.

So, f-1(2) = 1.

Now if you want f-1'(x), you have:

= 1 / f'(f-1(x))

so 1/ f'(1)

find the derivative of f(X):

3x^2 + 2

so,
answer = 1/(3(1) +2) = 1/5.

thank you so very much!

How do you know it is 1? Because that's the only number without an X term?

Last edited:
How do you know f-1(2) = 1?

frasifrasi was not supposed to give away the answer, if that's the answer. That's not how this forum's supposed to work.

f -1(2) is the answer to question, "at what value of x does x^3 + 2x -1 = 2"?

frasifrasi assumed f(x) = a, which may or may not be justified. Your statement of the problem does not indicate what a is. If that assumption is right, then f -1(f(x)) = f -1(a), and by the definition of an inverse function, f -1(f(x)) = x. So x = f -1(a). You can verify that when x = 1, f(1) = 2. Therefore 1 = f -1(2).

Yea I thought it was weird that he just gave the answer. But I am trying to figure out how you figured out that x^3 + 2x - 1 = 2 when x= 1?

He solved the equation of course! Cubics can be difficult to solve so I suspect he did what I would: try some easy numbers for x and hope one works. In "real life" that is seldom true but in "made up" exercises it often is.

Related to Differentiating Inverse Functions

What is the definition of an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that reverses the output of another function. It is denoted as f^-1(x) and it undoes the action of the original function f(x).

Why is it important to differentiate inverse functions?

Differentiating inverse functions is important because it allows us to find the slope or rate of change of the original function at a specific point. It also helps us to solve problems involving optimization and related rates.

How do you differentiate inverse functions?

To differentiate inverse functions, we can use the inverse function theorem which states that the derivative of the inverse function is equal to the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function evaluated at the corresponding input value.

What is the relationship between the graphs of a function and its inverse?

The graph of a function and its inverse are reflections of each other across the line y = x. This means that if we were to plot the points (x,y) for the original function, the points for its inverse would be (y,x). This also means that the domain and range of the original function become the range and domain of the inverse function.

Can all functions be inverted?

No, not all functions can be inverted. For a function to have an inverse, it must be a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has a unique output. This can be determined by checking the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function more than once, it is not one-to-one and does not have an inverse.