Difficulty visualizing given set

In summary, the conversation discusses the region between a cone and a sphere, bounded by a cylinder and the use of cylindrical coordinates for integration. The participants also mention useful tools such as Wolfram Alpha and GeoGebra for visualizing the set. The conversation ends with a warm welcome to a new member of the Physics Forums community.
Physicsdudee
Homework Statement
Hey,
As you can see in the attachment, I am given a Set that I should integrate a function on. The integrating part should not be a problem, however I am having a hard time figuring out how this set looks like and hence which coordinates to use. I get that the best option would probably be spherical coordinates, but I have to have an idea how this set looks like so I can determine the bounds of integration, that is bounds for φ, Θ and R.
Relevant Equations
Spherical coordinates: x=Rsin(Θ)cos(φ), y=Rsin(Θ)sin(φ), z=Rcos(Θ)
Okay so I know, that if the radius is 0, the z coordinate will run from -1 to +1. If the radius tends to one, the z coordinate will tend to 0.
But I still cannot imagine how this set looks like, help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
set.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the region between the cone [itex]x^2 + y^2 = (z + 1)^2[/itex] and the sphere [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1[/itex] and bounded by the cylinder [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex].

I would suggest cylindrical polars.

Likes Delta2
Thanks for your reply.
If I were to use cylindrical coordinates, then I assume I would let φ range from 0 to 2π, z from -1 to 1. But what about R then? R should be a function of the height regarding integration over the cone and then another function of height regarding integration over the sphere right?

Physicsdudee said:
Thanks for your reply.
If I were to use cylindrical coordinates, then I assume I would let φ range from 0 to 2π, z from -1 to 1. But what about R then? R should be a function of the height regarding integration over the cone and then another function of height regarding integration over the sphere right?

Easier to have [itex]0 \leq r \leq 1[/itex], and the [itex]z[/itex] limits are then conveniently set out in the question...

Yes, that seems easier, thanks a lot!

While it's good to try to reason on your own,
be aware that there are useful tools, as @fresh_42 suggests.

Here's another one

https://www.geogebra.org/3d?lang=en
1655490235679.png

1655490273881.png

I'm sure it can also handle spherical and cylindrical coordinates.

Likes Delta2
robphy said:
While it's good to try to reason on your own,
be aware that there are useful tools, as @fresh_42 suggests.

Here's another one

https://www.geogebra.org/3d?lang=en
View attachment 302958
View attachment 302960

I'm sure it can also handle spherical and cylindrical coordinates.
Yep, I know Geo gebra but I was so eager to actually not use anything because in the exam it’s not going to be any different. But I get your point, making use of all these nice tools is extremely good for visualizing

@Physicsdudee ,
I see that this is the second Thread you have started, but you have not received a formal welcome to Physics Forums. Let's fix that.

:welcome:

Likes Delta2
SammyS said:
@Physicsdudee ,
I see that this is the second Thread you have started, but you have not received a formal welcome to Physics Forums. Let's fix that.

:welcome:
Haha that’s so kind, I appreciate it:)

Likes Delta2

1. What does it mean to have difficulty visualizing a given set?

Difficulty visualizing a given set refers to the challenge of mentally picturing or understanding a group of objects, numbers, or data points in a specific arrangement or relationship.

2. What factors can contribute to difficulty visualizing a given set?

There are several factors that can contribute to difficulty visualizing a given set, including lack of familiarity with the objects or data, complexity of the set, and individual differences in spatial reasoning abilities.

3. How can difficulty visualizing a given set impact scientific research?

Difficulty visualizing a given set can impact scientific research by hindering the ability to interpret and analyze data, leading to potential errors or misinterpretations. It can also limit the ability to generate new hypotheses or ideas based on visual patterns or relationships within the data.

4. Are there any techniques or strategies that can help improve visualization of a given set?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies that can help improve visualization of a given set. These include using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs, breaking down complex sets into smaller, more manageable parts, and practicing visualization exercises to improve spatial reasoning skills.

5. Can difficulty visualizing a given set be overcome?

Yes, with practice and the use of effective techniques, difficulty visualizing a given set can be overcome. Just like any other skill, visualization abilities can be improved and developed over time with effort and persistence.