Dirac Delta Function - Fourier Series

In summary, the homework statement is that the Fourier series of the function f(x) has a period of 1 and can be written in terms of trig functions.
BOAS

1. Homework Statement

Find the Fourier series of

##f(x) = \delta (x) - \delta (x - \frac{1}{2})## , ## - \frac{1}{4} < x < \frac{3}{4}##
periodic outside.

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\int dx \delta (x) f(x) = f(0)##

##\int dx \delta (x - x_0) f(x) = f(x_0)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am struggling to visualise this function, which is making it hard to tell if my series makes sense. Plus I find the delta function a little confusing to reason about.

The function has a period of 1.

##a_0 = 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x) dx - 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x - \frac{1}{2}) dx = 0##

##a_n = 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x) \cos (n \pi x) dx - 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x - \frac{1}{2}) \cos (n \pi x)dx = 2 - 2 \cos (\frac{n \pi}{2})##

##b_n = 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x) \sin (n \pi x) dx - 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x - \frac{1}{2}) \sin (n \pi x) dx = -2 \sin (\frac{n \pi}{2})##

I think those are my Fourier coefficients, and I couldn't find a nice way to express them, so I think they're ok left as trig functions.

Does it look ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/itex] is 0 if n is odd, 1 if n is an even multiple of 2 and -1 if n is an odd multiple of 2. Sin(x) is 0 if n is even, 1 if n is of the form 4k+1 for some k and -1 if it is of the form 4k-1 for some k. So [tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty(2- 2cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})cos(n\pi x)+ 2 sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})sin(n\pi x)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty [(2- 2(-1)^{n})cos(2n\pi x)+ 2(-1)^n sin(((2n+1)/2]\pi x)][/tex]

Likes BOAS
HallsofIvy said:
[itex]cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/itex] is 0 if n is odd, 1 if n is an even multiple of 2 and -1 if n is an odd multiple of 2. Sin(x) is 0 if n is even, 1 if n is of the form 4k+1 for some k and -1 if it is of the form 4k-1 for some k. So [tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty(2- 2cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})cos(n\pi x)+ 2 sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})sin(n\pi x)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty [(2- 2(-1)^{n})cos(2n\pi x)+ 2(-1)^n sin(((2n+1)/2]\pi x)][/tex]

Thanks a lot.

That's incredibly helpful and clear.

BOAS said:
##a_0 = 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x) dx - 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x - \frac{1}{2}) dx = 0##

##a_n = 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x) \cos (n \pi x) dx - 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x - \frac{1}{2}) \cos (n \pi x)dx = 2 - 2 \cos (\frac{n \pi}{2})##

##b_n = 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x) \sin (n \pi x) dx - 2 \int^{3/4}_{-1/4} \delta (x - \frac{1}{2}) \sin (n \pi x) dx = -2 \sin (\frac{n \pi}{2})##

I think those are my Fourier coefficients, and I couldn't find a nice way to express them, so I think they're ok left as trig functions.
You can also use some trig identities to simplify
$$a_n \cos n\pi x + b_n \sin n\pi x = 2\cos (n\pi x) - 2 \left[\cos \left( \frac{n \pi}{2}\right) \cos (n\pi x) + \sin \left(\frac{n \pi}{2}\right) \sin (n\pi x) \right]$$ to get
$$-4 \sin \frac{n \pi}{4} \sin\left[n\pi \left(x - \frac 14\right) \right]$$

Related to Dirac Delta Function - Fourier Series

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific location. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has infinite height and zero width.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function related to Fourier Series?

The Dirac Delta Function is an essential component in the formulation of Fourier Series. It is used to represent the coefficients of the Fourier Series, which are the weights of the sinusoidal functions that make up the series.

3. Can the Dirac Delta Function be expressed as a Fourier Series?

No, the Dirac Delta Function cannot be expressed as a Fourier Series. This is because it is not a periodic function and does not have a repeating pattern, which is a requirement for a function to be represented as a Fourier Series.

4. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in signal processing?

The Dirac Delta Function is used in signal processing to model impulsive signals or events. It is also used to represent a signal's impulse response, which is the output of a system when a Dirac Delta Function is used as the input signal.

5. What are some applications of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include solving differential equations, analyzing signals and systems, and modeling point masses in mechanics. It is also used in probability and statistics to represent discrete probability distributions.