Direction of Current between nodes

In summary: Yeah, so that's why the current direction is the way it is. It's not intuitive to me either, but that's what solving the circuit does for us.
cavalieregi
Say for example you had the following circuit.
upload_2014-11-12_8-29-0.png

Since it is hard to determine which source will have a bigger influence on current I am unsure of how I would determine which way the current would flow between each node.

Physics news on Phys.org
cavalieregi said:
Say for example you had the following circuit.
View attachment 75335
Since it is hard to determine which source will have a bigger influence on current I am unsure of how I would determine which way the current would flow between each node.

In general, you may not be able to infer the directions of the final currents by inspection. The general way to handle these circuits is just to write the KCL equations (or KVL if you prefer), and solve for the node voltages, which then give you the currents.

So how would I determine the direction of the voltage drop without knowing the direction of the current due to the passive sign convention.

cavalieregi said:
So how would I determine the direction of the voltage drop without knowing the direction of the current due to the passive sign convention.

You don't need to assume anything about the currents. Just write the KCV equations as the sum of all currents leaving a node is = 0. If there is a current source connected to a node, you call that current + or - depending on if it is leaving or entering the node.

Can you write the KCL equations for the circuit that you posted, so that we can check your work? :-)

Its okay I have worked it out I just am unsure why the voltage drop over the 4 ohm resistor is from left to right.

cavalieregi said:
Its okay I have worked it out I just am unsure why the voltage drop over the 4 ohm resistor is from left to right.

What voltages did you work out for the left and right sides of that resistor when you solved the circuit?

-29V RHS and 10V LHS

cavalieregi said:
-29V RHS and 10V LHS

Yeah, so that's why the current direction is the way it is. It's not intuitive to me either, but that's what solving the circuit does for us. :-)

1. How is the direction of current determined between nodes in a circuit?

The direction of current between nodes in a circuit is determined by the flow of electrons. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a voltage source, through the circuit components, and back to the positive terminal of the source. This flow of electrons is known as conventional current and is opposite to the direction of electron flow.

2. What factors affect the direction of current between nodes in a circuit?

The direction of current between nodes in a circuit is affected by the voltage source, the type of circuit components, and the configuration of the circuit. In a series circuit, current flows in the same direction through each component. In a parallel circuit, current splits and flows through multiple paths.

3. Can the direction of current between nodes change in a circuit?

Yes, the direction of current between nodes can change in a circuit. This can happen when the voltage source is changed or when the circuit configuration is altered. For example, if a battery is reversed in a circuit, the direction of current will also reverse.

4. How does the direction of current affect the behavior of a circuit?

The direction of current is an important factor in determining the behavior of a circuit. In a series circuit, the current is the same at all points, while in a parallel circuit, the current splits and can vary at different points. The direction of current also affects the direction of voltage drops and the power dissipation in the circuit.

5. How can the direction of current be measured in a circuit?

The direction of current can be measured using a multimeter, an electronic device that can measure current, voltage, and resistance. By connecting the multimeter in series with the circuit, the direction and magnitude of current can be determined. Additionally, the direction of current can be visually observed using an ammeter, which is a specialized type of multimeter used specifically for measuring current.