Discuss the evidence from the periodic table

In summary, the conversation discusses the evidence from the periodic table for the need of a fourth quantum number and how the properties of helium would differ if there were only three quantum numbers. The Pauli Exclusion Principle states that no two electrons can occupy the same orbital configuration, and without a fourth quantum number, atoms with the same n, l, and m would be smaller. The conversation also touches on the relevance of fermions and bosons and their relation to the Pauli Exclusion Principle. The key to understanding the change in properties of helium lies in determining the number of electrons in the atom.
awat

Homework Statement

Discuss the evidence from the periodic table of the need for a fourth quantum number. How would the properties of He differ if there were only three quantum numbers, n, l, and m?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The Pauli Exclusion Principle dictates that no two electrons can occupy exactly the same orbital configuration. If there was no fourth quantum number, atoms with the same n,l, and m, would be smaller.

Physics news on Phys.org

awat said:
The Pauli Exclusion Principle dictates that no two electrons can occupy exactly the same orbital configuration. If there was no fourth quantum number, atoms with the same n,l, and m, would be smaller.

I agree with the first sentence. But I don't understand what you mean by the second sentence.

It was a hint someone else gave me, but it doesn't make sense to me either.

could you enumerate the possible (n, l, m) combinations in terms of rising energy?

awat said:
It was a hint someone else gave me, but it doesn't make sense to me either.
hmm. I think we should move on from that then. Your first sentence is the key to the answer.

To answer how the properties of the helium atom changes, first think how many electrons are in a helium atom. Then from here, how would you determine the properties of the atom?

If there was no spin, there wouldn't be a periodic table...

for what particles does the Pauli Exclusion Principle hold?

Fermions, which include electrons, the relevant particles here.

awat said:
Fermions, which include electrons, the relevant particles here.

yes, but saying something is a fermion is merely a tautology, because the Fermi-Dirac statistics is a consequence of the Pauli Exclusion Principle. There is another intrinsic characteristic of a particle which determines what kind of statistic it obeys.

...particles that can only have antisymmetric total wave functions?

you are saying the same thing over and over. There is one crucial piece of evidence.

particles that are identical to each other?

awat said:
particles that are identical to each other?

photons are identical to each other as well. Do they obey the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

Does it have something to do with the electrons' bound state and their overlapping wavefunctions?

A appreciate your patience and won't be offended if you decide to abandon the thread.

Actually, I don't want to guide you in a wrong direction. I think your professor wants you to pursue a line of reasoning that I started with my first reply in this thread. However, while looking at reply #6, it occurred to me that the division of particles in fermions and bosons has to do with one fundamental property that they posses. If you are a chemist, or in lower undergraduate course, you might not be aware of this connection, so I appologize for derailing this thread.

Dickfore - I agree with your last post. You got a bit carried away :)

awat - start with how many electrons are in a helium atom.

Related to Discuss the evidence from the periodic table

1. What is the periodic table?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of the chemical elements, organized by their atomic number, electron configuration, and chemical properties. It is a visual representation of the building blocks of all matter.

2. How is the periodic table organized?

The periodic table is organized into periods (horizontal rows) and groups (vertical columns). Elements in the same period have the same number of electron shells, while elements in the same group have similar chemical and physical properties.

3. What evidence supports the organization of the periodic table?

The organization of the periodic table is supported by the periodic law, which states that the properties of elements are periodic functions of their atomic numbers. This means that elements with similar properties occur at regular intervals when they are arranged in order of increasing atomic number.

4. How does the periodic table help in predicting properties of elements?

The periodic table allows us to predict the properties of elements based on their position in the table. Elements in the same group tend to have similar chemical and physical properties, so we can make predictions about an element's reactivity, atomic radius, and other characteristics based on its group number.

5. What is the significance of the periodic table in modern science?

The periodic table is a fundamental tool in chemistry and other sciences. It helps us understand the behavior of elements and their compounds, and it has allowed scientists to discover new elements and predict their properties. The periodic table is also used in industry for production of materials and in education for teaching chemistry concepts.