Disk with holes falling on water

In summary, the conversation is about a video showing metal disks being dropped into water and creating interesting patterns. The person who saw the video wants to share it with others but can't remember where they saw it. Another person remembers seeing it on their Facebook feed and suggests searching for it using keywords. Eventually, someone else provides a link to the video, solving the original poster's problem.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Anyone seen a video about it?
Just yesterday evening I saw a video of a few minutes where metal disks with holes in them were let fall into a basin of water.The water went up in twisted columns and made the most astounding and beautiful patterns. I thought I would show it to other people who might be interested - but I have forgotten where I saw it! I thought it was on this site, but I can't find it. The only other possible place would have been by chance on YouTube.

Has anybody seen it, by any chance?

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw it just recently. That kind of stuff comes up on my Facebook feed regularly.
Can't remember what the group was called.
Google combinations of 'slow motion water drop disc' videos.

epenguin said:
Has anybody seen it, by any chance?
Try this:

That's exactly the one, thank you @Ibix and @BilTre !

Last edited:
Likes Ibix

1. How does a disk with holes falling on water create a vortex?

When a disk with holes falls on water, it creates a vortex due to the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the disk. As the disk falls, the air trapped inside the holes is compressed, creating a higher pressure. This higher pressure pushes the water down, creating a depression in the water's surface. The surrounding water then rushes in to fill this depression, causing a vortex to form.

2. What factors affect the size and shape of the vortex created by a falling disk with holes?

The size and shape of the vortex created by a falling disk with holes can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the holes, the speed and angle at which the disk falls, and the properties of the water, such as its viscosity and surface tension.

3. Can the vortex created by a falling disk with holes be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the vortex can be controlled or manipulated by changing the size and shape of the holes, altering the speed and angle at which the disk falls, or by introducing external forces such as air or water jets.

4. Are there any real-world applications for studying the behavior of a disk with holes falling on water?

Yes, the study of a disk with holes falling on water has various real-world applications, such as in the design of water turbines and propellers, understanding the behavior of marine animals, and in the field of fluid dynamics and vortex dynamics.

5. How does the behavior of a disk with holes falling on water differ from that of a solid disk?

The behavior of a disk with holes falling on water differs from that of a solid disk in terms of the formation and size of the vortex. A solid disk creates a single large vortex, while a disk with holes creates multiple smaller vortices due to the air trapped inside the holes. Additionally, the presence of holes can also affect the drag and lift forces acting on the disk, altering its trajectory and behavior.