Distinct answers for two equivalent expressions?

In summary: The trouble with that step is that it throws away crucial information, namely, that the two limit processes are to occur at the same 'rate', i.e. the values of x increase in synch.
musicgold
Hi,
This is not exactly a homework problem. This is something I wonder all the time.

1. Homework Statement

We all know that the following expressions give different answers, even though the expressions are equivalent. My question is why does that happen. Why two expressions that are the same have different results.

Homework Equations

## \frac {lim}{x \rightarrow \infty} \ \frac {x+1}{x} = ## Indeterminant

## \frac {lim}{x \rightarrow \infty} \ 1 + \frac {1}{x} = ## 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there a problem with the basic mathematical axioms that is creating this situation? Why should it matter how I write the expression?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:

Homework Equations

## \frac {lim}{x \rightarrow \infty} \ \frac {x+1}{x} = ## Indeterminant
While the fraction may be an indeterminate form, the limit is not indeterminant. (See L'Hospital's Rule.)

##\dfrac{x+1}{x}=1+\dfrac{1}{x} \neq x+\dfrac{1}{x}##

Likes archaic
musicgold said:
## \frac {lim}{x \rightarrow \infty} \ x + \frac {1}{x} = ## 1
I just noticed what you wrote here. Note that this is not equivalent at all to the other fraction. (@fresh_42 beat me to it.)

I assume this was just a typo!

fresh_42 said:
##\dfrac{x+1}{x}=1+\dfrac{1}{x} \neq x+\dfrac{1}{x}##
Thanks. I fixed it.

Doc Al said:
While the fraction may be an indeterminate form, the limit is not indeterminate. (See L'Hospital's Rule.)
The L Hospital's rule address some other issue - how to take the limit when we have an indeterminate form.

It doesn't address the basic question - Why two equivalent equations result in different results.

musicgold said:
The L Hospital's rule address some other issue - how to take the limit when we have an indeterminate form.

It doesn't address the basic question - Why two equivalent equations result in different results.
##\lim_{x \to \infty} \dfrac{x+1}{x} = \lim_{x\to \infty}\left( 1+\dfrac{1}{x} \right) = 1##
There is nothing "indeterminant".

Likes musicgold
musicgold said:
But they don't have different results!

Likes musicgold
musicgold said:

They aren't different results. They are different methods of proof of the same result.

When you say the form is "indeterminate", that's a statement that you don't yet know what the limit is. It is not a statement about the limit. The result is 1. If you evaluated ##(x + 1)/x## for an increasing sequence of ##x##, you would find that for any value of ##\epsilon > 0##, the value of ##(x + 1)/x## was within ##\epsilon## of 1 for all ##x## large enough. And that, by definition, means the limit is 1.

Last edited:
Likes musicgold
musicgold said:
how to take the limit when we have an indeterminate form.
The only reason I can see why you consider it indeterminate is that you are doing:
##\underset{x \rightarrow \infty}{lim} \frac {x+1}{x} =\frac {\underset{x \rightarrow \infty}{lim} x+1}{\underset{x \rightarrow \infty}{lim} x}=\frac \infty\infty ##.
The trouble with that step is that it throws away crucial information, namely, that the two limit processes are to occur at the same 'rate', i.e. the values of x increase in synch. That loss of information leads to the indeterminacy.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What does it mean for two expressions to be equivalent?

Two expressions are considered equivalent if they have the same value for all possible inputs. This means that no matter what values are substituted for the variables in the expressions, they will always result in the same output.

2. How can I prove that two expressions are equivalent?

To prove that two expressions are equivalent, you can use algebraic manipulation and properties to transform one expression into the other. If you end up with identical expressions, then you have proven their equivalence. You can also use a truth table to show that the expressions have the same output for all possible combinations of inputs.

3. Can two expressions be equivalent but look different?

Yes, two expressions can be equivalent but have different forms. For example, the expressions x + 2 and 2 + x are equivalent, but they look different because of the order of the terms. This is because of the commutative property of addition.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of equivalent expressions?

There are a few exceptions to the rule of equivalent expressions. For example, expressions with different domains or restrictions may not be equivalent, even if they have the same output for all possible inputs. Additionally, expressions with division by zero or undefined terms may not be equivalent.

5. Why is it important to understand equivalent expressions?

Understanding equivalent expressions is important in simplifying and solving equations, as well as in proving mathematical statements. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between different expressions, which can be useful in problem-solving and making connections between different mathematical concepts.