Do Open Timelike Curves Exist?

• B
  • Thread starter TheQuestionGuy14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, Closed Timelike Curves (CTCs) are theoretical solutions to General Relativity that do not violate causality. None have been observed and there is a body of literature discussing their existence and implications, though they have no known bearing on reality. Questions regarding their existence will be deleted.
TheQuestionGuy14
These are apparently Closed Timelike Curves that don't violate causality, do they exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you describe what they are better? Or provide a source that discusses them? I've never heard of this terminology.

Matterwave said:
Can you describe what they are better? Or provide a source that discusses them? I've never heard of this terminology.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1206.5485
Only big thing I could find on them.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
These are apparently Closed Timelike Curves that don't violate causality, do they exist?
None have been observed.

I see these threads from QuestionGuy over and over and over and wonder if I am in a closed timelike curve!

Likes Sorcerer, phinds, weirdoguy and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
I see these threads from QuestionGuy over and over and over and wonder if I am in a closed timelike curve!
@TheQuestionGuy14 V50 is right, this is quite tiresome. If you have questions about the theoretical literature on closed timelike curves then you are welcome to post them here. There is a body of literature on the theory of CTC solutions to GR.

However please stop asking any questions related to their existence. No such curves have been observed, they are purely theoretical. They have no known bearing on reality.

Further posts on CTC existence or reality will be summarily deleted. Thread closed

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy

1. What are open timelike curves?

Open timelike curves are theoretical constructs in the field of physics that describe the possibility of traveling back in time. They are different from closed timelike curves, which are closed paths that allow for time travel within the same worldline.

2. Do open timelike curves actually exist?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that open timelike curves exist in reality. They are purely theoretical and have not been observed or proven to exist in any experiments or observations.

3. How do open timelike curves relate to time travel?

Open timelike curves are often used in discussions about the possibility of time travel. If they were to exist, they would theoretically allow for the possibility of traveling back in time. However, their existence is still highly debated and has not been proven.

4. What are some theories that involve open timelike curves?

Some theories, such as general relativity, incorporate the concept of open timelike curves in their mathematical equations. Other theories, such as the Novikov self-consistency principle, suggest that open timelike curves cannot exist in order to prevent paradoxes in time travel.

5. What are the implications if open timelike curves were to exist?

If open timelike curves were to exist, it would challenge our understanding of the laws of physics and the concept of causality. It could also potentially lead to the possibility of time travel, but it is still a highly debated and hypothetical concept.