Does an SN754410NE H Brdige need a microcontroller?

In summary: You need to provide non overlapping control signals to turn on the legs in the proper sequence without shorting.Depending on what motor you are using we can help with the motor control part.Need to know that you are trying to do, from a top level. Need variable speed? Stop/Go only, how fast, how slow, etc etc.You need to provide PWM-signal ( Pulse-Width-modulated signal ). The SN754410NE cannot distinguish between a 4V or a 5V signal, only between a high or low signal.All of the channels need to be active for the side you are using. I am using the 2
aquitaine
A few months ago I asked about diodes for a basic low voltage H-Bridge. So I got the parts together. The first thing I did was to build a 5V voltage regulator, getting power from a 9V battery. I managed to build the regulator with no issues, it puts out 5mA and about 5V. I went ahead with the H-Bridge, the enable line for the side of the chip I'm using is tied to 5V power through a 1k resister, IC power and the motor power are also 5V but directly connected. The other enable line is tied to ground, as are all ground pins. The motor is connected to the motor pins, the main logic pin is tied to power. I connect the regulator to the circuit...nothing happens. I break out my multimeter and found that there's no voltage to be found anywhere in either the H-Bridge circuit or the regulator, almost like there's some kind of broken circuit. I used the multimeter to check the connections, never found a broken one.

All this makes me wonder if I'm missing something, should I have used a microcontroller or some kind of logic gate instead of connecting the logic directly to power? Or is there something else going on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The SN754410NE is just a 4 channel amplifier with some enable feature:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/28616/TI/SN754410NE.html

So you must connect some logical signals to the inputs 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A to be amplified. These signals can be made by some TTL-circuit or a μ-controller.

You have not mentioned if you are using a stepper motor? but if you are, you can see some signals here

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14892/en/

to be provided.

At some instances the output signal is shown ( Fig. 6-19 ) to be 0V ( no current ). That's when you disable two channels.

If you are using a DC-motor, you must provide some PWM-signal ( Pulse-Width-modulated signal ). The SN754410NE cannot distinguish between a 4V or a 5V signal, only between a high or low signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, 5V at 5ma is not going to drive any motor I know of.

Can you attach a schematic of the regulator and driver/motor? Also the motor specification.

As Hesch said, an H bridge driver is just that. A driver. You need to supply non overlapping control signals to turn on the legs in the proper sequence without shorting.
Depending on what motor you are using we can help with the motor control part.

Need to know that you are trying to do, from a top level. Need variable speed? Stop/Go only, how fast, how slow, etc etc.

Hesch said:
The SN754410NE is just a 4 channel amplifier with some enable feature:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/28616/TI/SN754410NE.html

So you must connect some logical signals to the inputs 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A to be amplified. These signals can be made by some TTL-circuit or a μ-controller.

You have not mentioned if you are using a stepper motor? but if you are, you can see some signals here

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14892/en/

to be provided.

At some instances the output signal is shown ( Fig. 6-19 ) to be 0V ( no current ). That's when you disable two channels.

If you are using a DC-motor, you must provide some PWM-signal ( Pulse-Width-modulated signal ). The SN754410NE cannot distinguish between a 4V or a 5V signal, only between a high or low signal.

Ok, so I am missing something. I think it might be a stepper, but I'm not totally sure because it doesn't say specifically, just gives a voltage range. So do all 4 channels need to be active or just the two for the side I'm using? Also, any recommendations for a simple micro controller?

meBigGuy said:
First off, 5V at 5ma is not going to drive any motor I know of.

Can you attach a schematic of the regulator and driver/motor? Also the motor specification.

As Hesch said, an H bridge driver is just that. A driver. You need to supply non overlapping control signals to turn on the legs in the proper sequence without shorting.
Depending on what motor you are using we can help with the motor control part.

Need to know that you are trying to do, from a top level. Need variable speed? Stop/Go only, how fast, how slow, etc etc.

I don't have anything like that on computer, it's really just a 7805 with a couple small capacitors on pins 1 and 3. That amount of power is enough to run the motor, I plugged it directly in (yeah, bad practice) to the output and it spun like a top. It doesn't have any load and I currently don't intend for there to be any. All I'm looking to do with the motor is make it go forward and if I change the input in the right way make it go backward, that's it. I'm not looking for variable speed This is the motor I'm using.

It's been a really really long time I've been in electronics, I'm doing this because I'm looking to get back into it and the best to learn is to do it. Thanks guys, I appreciate whatever help can be provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a simple DC motor, but there is no information regarding the performance and current requirements. That is load and winding resistance dependent.

You need to understand what the motor is actually drawing from the 7805. Does the 7805 get hot?

It will pretty easy to drive it one direction, then in the other direction with the H bridge.

if you connect the motor between 1Y and 2Y the following will control the motor

Code:
             1A    2A
Stopped      0      0
forward      1      0
reverse      0      1

meBigGuy said:
This is a simple DC motor, but there is no information regarding the performance and current requirements. That is load and winding resistance dependent.

You need to understand what the motor is actually drawing from the 7805. Does the 7805 get hot?

It will pretty easy to drive it one direction, then in the other direction with the H bridge.

if you connect the motor between 1Y and 2Y the following will control the motor

Code:
             1A    2A
Stopped      0      0
forward      1      0
reverse      0      1
It doesn't seem that warm, I can't really tell if it's putting off that much heat, surely a good sign. On the other hand I didn't leave it plugged in for that long so maybe there wasn't enough time. Anyway, thanks for the truth table, looking into microcontrollers I think right now I'll go with making a TTL circuit. Thanks for your help, I'll give an update on the thread if it still doesn't work.

1. What is an SN754410NE H Bridge?

The SN754410NE is an integrated circuit (IC) that is commonly used as an H bridge to control the direction and speed of DC motors. It is designed to handle high current and voltage, making it suitable for robotics, automation, and other electronic projects.

2. Do I need a microcontroller to use an SN754410NE H Bridge?

Yes, a microcontroller is typically required to control the SN754410NE H Bridge. The H bridge itself does not have any built-in intelligence and needs external signals from a microcontroller to function.

3. What type of microcontroller is compatible with the SN754410NE H Bridge?

The SN754410NE H Bridge is compatible with a wide range of microcontrollers, including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and other popular development boards. It can also be controlled by a custom circuit using discrete components.

4. Can I use the SN754410NE H Bridge with other types of motors besides DC motors?

Yes, the SN754410NE H Bridge can also be used with other types of motors, such as stepper motors and servo motors. However, additional circuitry may be required for proper control of these motors.

5. Are there any limitations to using an SN754410NE H Bridge with a microcontroller?

One limitation of using an SN754410NE H Bridge with a microcontroller is that it can only control two motors at a time. If you need to control more than two motors, you will need to use multiple H bridges or a different type of motor driver. Additionally, the maximum current and voltage ratings of the H bridge should be considered when choosing a compatible microcontroller and motor.