Does anyone here have a patent?

• Thread starter Blackberg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patent
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining patents for unique and novel solutions to problems encountered while working on projects. The speaker shares an example of a patent they received for a solution to running external commands with an augmented environment. They also mention another patent they obtained after retiring for a solution to detecting open circuits in electromagnets.
Blackberg
Either yourself, or with partners, or through your employment?
If so, would you care to share how it came along and what's it about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I have a few mostly software related. In my case, many came about as I was working on some project and ran into a difficulty. My solution was unique and novel enough to become a patent.

One example was when I needed to execute an external command in C code with some environment parameter being set. However the C api offered to run it with no environment or the parent environment but not an augmented environment. My solution was to run one command to get the parent environment, add my environment parameter to the list and then run the real command with the augmented environment.

It didn't seem like much at the time but my company liked it enough to patent it.

A couple years after i retired i finally figured out how to detect open circuits in the electromagnets that move PWR control rods .
That had become a recurring problem over my last few years (late 1990's). The connectors and cables were approaching 30 years old then.
When there's no current through the electromagnet and a connection opens, there's no indication of the open circuit. That's because it is difficult to detect whether a circuit with zero current flowing in it has opened.
So when you send power out to the electromagnet in hopes of moving the rod, well, the power only gets as far as the open circuit and stops there.
So the electromagnet doesn't energize and instead of moving the rod drops.
That's a big inconvenience.
And it happens with absolutely no warning.

I really wanted to give the guys a way to avoid that inconvenience.
So i wrote it up and sent it to a patent attorney.
it's 7177383 if you're interested in reading it.Why do you ask ?

old jm

Last edited:

1. What is a patent?

A patent is a legal document granted by the government to an inventor or organization that gives them exclusive rights to their invention for a certain period of time. It prohibits others from making, using, or selling the invention without the permission of the patent holder.

2. How do I know if someone has a patent?

You can search for patents in the database of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) or other patent databases. You can also consult with a patent lawyer or conduct a patent search through a patent search firm.

3. What types of inventions can be patented?

Generally, inventions that are new, useful, and non-obvious can be patented. This includes machines, processes, compositions of matter, and designs. However, laws of nature, natural phenomena, and abstract ideas cannot be patented.

4. Do patents expire?

Yes, patents have a limited term of protection. In the United States, utility and plant patents expire 20 years from the date of filing, while design patents expire 15 years from the date of filing. After the expiration, the invention enters the public domain and can be used by anyone without permission from the patent holder.

5. Can I use someone else's patented invention?

No, using someone else's patented invention without their permission is considered infringement and can result in legal consequences. However, you can obtain a license from the patent holder to use their invention. You can also challenge the validity of the patent or negotiate a settlement with the patent holder.