Does Bernoulli's Principle Apply to Aerodynamics at Different Heights?

In summary, the conversation discusses the force effect of a slit on the side of a tube on a ping pong ball. It is noted that as the ball rises, more air can escape through the slot, affecting the ball's height as a function of the volume of air being blown into the tube. The concept of static pressure and Bernoulli's principle are also mentioned.
SamJ96
Homework Statement
Hi everyone. I have a ping pong levitation system with a ping pong ball in a tube being pushed by a dc motor fan. Can anyone describe the force effect of a slit on the side of the tube on the pin pong ball? I know there is a drag force applied by the fan going against the balls weight, but I don't know how the slit effects the motion. Is it a decrease in pressure? Can anyone quantify it within a force diagram? The setup and FBD i have currently are attached. Cheers
Relevant Equations
F=m*a[ball]=-m*g+0.5*Cd*p*A*(v[air]-v[ball])-F[slit]
What is F[slit]?
20211206_141444.jpg
Untitled Page.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
SamJ96 said:
Can anyone describe the force effect of a slit on the side of the tube on the pin pong ball? I know there is a drag force applied by the fan going against the balls weight, but I don't know how the slit effects the motion. Is it a decrease in pressure?
The pressure under the ball, and the flow past the ball, support the ball. For a fixed size ball in a fixed size tube, that pressure, flow and force, should be a constant no matter what height the ball 'floats' in the tube.

As the ball rises, more of the slot is uncovered, so more air can escape through the slot, before reaching the ball.

The height of the ball is therefore a function of the volume of air being blown into the tube by the fan.

Likes SamJ96
Hi Baluncore,
Thank you very much for your answer. Just wondering, doesn't the static pressure decrease based on Bernoulli's principle as the the potential energy increases with height? Also, is the function that relates the balls height with the air volume blown into the tube different from the force equation that I showed, or is my force equation completely wrong? Thank you once again.

SamJ96 said:
Just wondering, doesn't the static pressure decrease based on Bernoulli's principle as the the potential energy increases with height?
The air is not being significantly compressed, and can be taken as the same temperature throughout the experiment. PE of hydrostatic head is not significant when the fluid has buoyancy equal to the surrounding atmosphere.

Likes SamJ96

1. What is an aerodynamic project?

An aerodynamic project is a scientific experiment or study that focuses on the movement of air around objects, such as airplanes, cars, or buildings. It involves understanding the principles of aerodynamics and using them to design and improve the performance of these objects.

2. Why is aerodynamics important?

Aerodynamics is important because it helps us understand how air behaves and interacts with objects. This knowledge is crucial in designing efficient and safe vehicles, buildings, and other structures. It also plays a key role in fields such as aeronautics, automotive engineering, and wind energy.

3. What are some examples of aerodynamic projects?

Some examples of aerodynamic projects include designing a more aerodynamic car to reduce drag and improve fuel efficiency, studying the airflow around a wind turbine to optimize its performance, and creating a more streamlined airplane wing to increase lift and reduce drag.

4. What are the steps involved in an aerodynamic project?

The steps involved in an aerodynamic project typically include researching and understanding the principles of aerodynamics, defining the problem or goal, designing and building a prototype, conducting experiments or simulations, analyzing the data, and making improvements based on the results.

5. What skills are needed for an aerodynamic project?

An aerodynamic project requires a combination of skills, including a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, knowledge of aerodynamics principles and concepts, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, and the ability to conduct experiments and analyze data. It also requires creativity, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.