Does Dark Matter Gather Near Black Holes and Suns?

• Thread starter Some Slacker
  • Start date
In summary: It's just that dark matter doesn't interact with electromagnetism (and other forces) very much, so it doesn't get slowed down.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of dark matter near black holes and stars. Dark matter can fall into a black hole and never return, but it will mostly just pass by. It also cannot be captured by the Sun, but may be more concentrated in the vicinity due to its gravitational attraction. Dark matter also does not interact with electromagnetism, so it does not get slowed down by stars.
Some Slacker
Firstly let me reiterate for those not in the know, I am an Idiot, so if my ramblings fall short of sense making, keep that in mind :)

I have no idea why, or where this comes from in my mind, but somehow I imagine some Dark Matter(DM) near the event horizon of a Black Hole(BH). Would this hypothetical DM once it enters also never return? I guess I'm asking if DM would 'gather' (for lack of a better term) at BH's?

Instead of a BH, perhaps it is a sun instead, no event horizon, no crazy gravity off the scale, here the DM surely would not gather right?

I have no idea where these thoughts came from, or to what (if anything) they pertain, but I keep thinking with DM not reacting with normal matter except through gravitational effects, it would somehow mean that the stickyness of normal matter wouldn't apply in at least one of these instances.

Thanks in advance for consideration of my meaningless ramblings,
Some Slacker

Space news on Phys.org
As far as we know, in terms of gravitational interactions, DM acts like massive matter. That should be all you need to know.

Some Slacker said:
I have no idea why, or where this comes from in my mind, but somehow I imagine some Dark Matter(DM) near the event horizon of a Black Hole(BH). Would this hypothetical DM once it enters also never return? I guess I'm asking if DM would 'gather' (for lack of a better term) at BH's?
Well, dark matter, if it has the right trajectory, will fall into a black hole and never return. Most of the time, however, it will simply come close and miss (black holes are small).

Some Slacker said:
Instead of a BH, perhaps it is a sun instead, no event horizon, no crazy gravity off the scale, here the DM surely would not gather right?
Right. Dark matter cannot be captured by the Sun: it will simply shoot straight through. Now, there will be slightly more dark matter in the vicinity of a massive object like the Sun than far away, due to its gravitational attraction, but the specific dark matter particles just keep moving on by.

Chalnoth said:
Right. Dark matter cannot be captured by the Sun: it will simply shoot straight through. Now, there will be slightly more dark matter in the vicinity of a massive object like the Sun than far away, due to its gravitational attraction, but the specific dark matter particles just keep moving on by.

This is more along the lines of my thinking (if you can call what I do Thinking) and then wouldn't that eventually mean that DM would stop orbiting in the normal sense, as DM can shoot right through the very heart of the sun where gravity is at its greatest wouldn't that end up being more like an oscillation rather than an orbit? And what is meant by 'vicinity'? Inside the orbit of mercury? further out? or simply more DM the closer you get to the sun?

I'm sorry if I'm just not gettin it, but I would think that this holds true for Local DM but would this work also on extra-solar DM? Unfortunately I don't have the math to understand it, and even if I did not sure my pea-brain could absorb it.

Thanks again for consideration of my senseless ramblings...

Some Slacker said:
This is more along the lines of my thinking (if you can call what I do Thinking) and then wouldn't that eventually mean that DM would stop orbiting in the normal sense, as DM can shoot right through the very heart of the sun where gravity is at its greatest wouldn't that end up being more like an oscillation rather than an orbit?
Orbits are oscillations. But in reality, very very little dark matter is likely to be in orbit around the Sun. The issue is that dark matter, because it interacts only very weakly with matter, has no way to slow down enough to be captured by the Sun's gravity. Instead, it will fall towards the Sun, be sped up by the attractive force of gravity, then pass the Sun, and slow down just as much as it sped up, so that it still retains the original energy it had going in (for the most part).

Some Slacker said:
And what is meant by 'vicinity'? Inside the orbit of mercury? further out? or simply more DM the closer you get to the sun?
The last one. Though I don't think the Sun has enough mass to really make a big difference here.

Some Slacker said:
I'm sorry if I'm just not gettin it, but I would think that this holds true for Local DM but would this work also on extra-solar DM?
Yes. Everything interacts with gravity.

Related to Does Dark Matter Gather Near Black Holes and Suns?

What is DM and why is it important in astrophysics?

DM stands for dark matter, which is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light and is therefore invisible. It is important in astrophysics because it makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and galaxy clusters.

What is a black hole and how is it related to dark matter?

A black hole is a region in space with an extremely strong gravitational pull that nothing, not even light, can escape from. It is related to dark matter because some theories suggest that black holes may be composed of or surrounded by dark matter, although this has not been confirmed.

Can dark matter and black holes be detected?

Dark matter cannot be directly detected because it does not interact with light. However, its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Black holes can be detected through their effects on surrounding matter and by observing the radiation emitted from matter falling into them.

What is the difference between a supermassive black hole and a stellar black hole?

A supermassive black hole is much larger and more massive than a stellar black hole. Supermassive black holes are found at the centers of galaxies and can have masses equivalent to billions of suns, while stellar black holes are formed from the collapse of a single massive star and have masses ranging from a few to several dozen times that of the sun.

How do scientists study dark matter and black holes?

Scientists study dark matter and black holes through a combination of observations, simulations, and theoretical models. They use telescopes and other instruments to observe the effects of dark matter and black holes on visible matter, as well as to study their radiation emissions. Simulations and theoretical models help to understand the behavior and properties of these elusive objects.