Does Gravity Cause Accelerating Charged Particles to Emit EM Radiation?

In summary: Thanks for bringing it up!In summary, a free-falling, neutral massive particle produces EM radiation. Gravity does not seem to play a role in this effect.
Drakkith
Mentor
An accelerating charged particle produces EM radiation. Does gravity cause this effect as well? Does the particle actually accelerate due to it or would it not since it would be following a straight path through curved spacetime? I'm guessing the particle would not create EM radiation, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking whether a free-falling, neutral massive particle radiates gravitational waves? In that case, yes, it does.

Or are you asking whether a free-falling, charged particle radiates EM waves? That one's a can of worms.

Thanks Bcrowell. I was referring to the 2nd one. Was my reasoning sound?

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was so complicated, I assumed it was a simple answer lol. I'll read over those threads. Thanks again!

I once attended a seminar by Bryce DeWitt on this topic, and there's no one in relativity whose opinion I trust more. And Bryce says they radiate, and so they radiate! Here's the paper: C. Morette-DeWitt and B.S. DeWitt, "Falling Charges," Physics, 1,3-20 (1964)

Bill_K said:
I once attended a seminar by Bryce DeWitt on this topic, and there's no one in relativity whose opinion I trust more. And Bryce says they radiate, and so they radiate! Here's the paper: C. Morette-DeWitt and B.S. DeWitt, "Falling Charges," Physics, 1,3-20 (1964)

The impression I get is that they do radiate, for some definitions of "radiate." They also don't radiate, for some other definitions of "radiate."

Radiate means the electromagnetic field goes as 1/r at future null infinity.

Bill_K said:
Radiate means the electromagnetic field goes as 1/r at future null infinity.

Again, this is just my impression from a casual reading of the literature, but my impression is that if everyone agreed on what the appropriate definition was, then the debate would have been over 40 years ago. If you look through some of those threads I linked to, you can find a dozen papers debating this back and forth over a period of decades. I'm not saying that your proposed definition is wrong, but (a) it's not obvious (to me) that it is completely rigorously well defined, and (b) it's not obvious (to me) whether there might be definitions that would be inequivalent to it and equally attractive. This whole business of self-force in curved spacetime is really tough.

Related to Does Gravity Cause Accelerating Charged Particles to Emit EM Radiation?

1. What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an atom or molecule that has an unequal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge.

2. How do charged particles interact with each other?

Charged particles interact through the electromagnetic force, which can either attract particles with opposite charges or repel particles with the same charge.

3. What is the role of gravity in charged particle interactions?

Gravity plays a minimal role in charged particle interactions, as the electromagnetic force is much stronger. However, gravity does affect the trajectory and movement of charged particles in space.

4. Can gravity be used to manipulate charged particles?

Yes, scientists have developed techniques such as gravitational lensing to manipulate the paths of charged particles in space. However, this method is not as precise as using electromagnetic forces.

5. How do charged particles and gravity affect the behavior of celestial bodies?

The interaction between charged particles and gravity can cause celestial bodies to experience various phenomena, such as auroras, magnetic fields, and radiation belts. Gravity also plays a crucial role in the formation and movement of celestial bodies in the universe.