Does it Converge, Diverge, or Converge Absolutely?

In summary: I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong with the absolute value series.In summary, the following series converges absolutely.
Anonymous217

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following series converges absolutely, converges conditionally, or diverges.
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n^3 - ln(n)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The assortment of different tests.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, first of all, I tried using Alternating Series Test. This worked and the series satisfied all 3 conditions (decreasing, alternating, and limit as n approaches infinity = 0). This means the series must converge either conditionally or absolutely since I haven't eliminated the possibility of it converging absolutely yet.

So I take the absolute value of the series and if it converges, it's absolutely convergent.
If it diverges, then it's not absolutely convergent. Therefore, that means it's conditionally convergent because I already proved that it must converge in some manner.
So this is
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |\frac{(-1)^n}{n^3 - ln(n)}|[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |\frac{1}{n^3 - ln(n)}|[/tex]

Now how do I find that this series converges or diverges? I tried every test I'm aware of and each was inconclusive. I tried WolframAlpha and it said that the tests were inconclusive, but it gave a number.
Does this mean it absolutely converges? If so, how would I show my work?

I tried using the Direct Comparison test and compared the series with the absolute values to 1000/n^3. However, I'm not entirely sure if 1000/n^3 is greater than the absolute value series for all n terms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It should be fairly easy to show that n^3 - ln(n) > n^2 for all n >= some N, using induction or some other means.

Once you get that, then 1/(n^3 - ln(n)) < 1/(n^2), and it's known that sum(1/(n^2)) is a convergent p-series.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the example. Do you think that 1000/n^3 works? I tried checking to see if it it's greater for all n using the calculator, and it sure seemed like it, but I can't truly be sure.

In other words, how can I prove that n^3/1000 < or = n^3 - ln(n) for all n or that it isn't? Solving the inequality, I get
[tex]n^3 \ge \frac{1000}{999}ln(n)[/tex]
And here I'm stuck. I'm going to be mad if I have to use the Lambert W function or whatever. :\

Could I argue that they never intersect and because n^3 is greater than the other function at one point, it must therefore be greater at all n terms? Then again, can I even fool around with the equation by solving for the inequality if I'm not even sure if it's true in the first place?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that will work. You can show that n^3 >= (1000/999)ln(n) by showing that n^3 - (1000/999)ln(n) >= 0 for all n larger than some fixed N. One way to do that is to call define f(x) = x^3 - (1000/999)ln(x), find some x0 for which f(x) > 0, and then show that f'(x) > 0 for all x > x0.

Thanks! I absolutely love you guys.

And sorry for bumping this thread up.

Related to Does it Converge, Diverge, or Converge Absolutely?

1. What are "difficult infinite series"?

"Difficult infinite series" refers to mathematical series that do not have a finite sum and require advanced techniques to evaluate. These series often involve complex or divergent terms, making them challenging to solve.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series is difficult?

There is no definitive way to determine if an infinite series is difficult, as it depends on the complexity of the terms and the techniques used to evaluate it. However, some indicators of a difficult series include having a large number of terms, alternating signs, or terms that do not follow a predictable pattern.

3. What techniques are commonly used to solve difficult infinite series?

Some common techniques for solving difficult infinite series include the ratio test, the comparison test, the integral test, and various convergence tests such as the alternating series test and the root test. Other methods, such as partial fraction decomposition and power series expansions, may also be used in certain cases.

4. Can difficult infinite series be solved exactly?

In most cases, difficult infinite series cannot be solved exactly. Instead, mathematicians use approximation methods to estimate the sum of the series. However, there are some special cases where a difficult infinite series can be solved exactly, such as the geometric series or the harmonic series.

5. Why are difficult infinite series important in mathematics?

Difficult infinite series play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and number theory. They provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of functions and help in solving complex real-world problems. They also serve as a basis for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as power series and the theory of sequences and series.