Does Monotone Convergence imply Convergence Subsequence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of sequences converging and diverging, and how to prove the converse of a given statement. It is mentioned that a sequence can diverge in ways other than tending to infinity, such as oscillating. It is then suggested that in order to prove the converse, one must first show that the sequence is bounded and monotone.
annoymage

Homework Statement

Results

i) if [itex](a_n)[/itex] tends to L as n tends to infinity, then [itex]a_{n_r}[/itex] tends to L as r tend to infinity

ii)if [itex](a_n)[/itex] tends to infinity as n tends to infinity, then [itex]a_{n_r}[/itex] tends to infinity as r tend to infinity

using this result prove that

if [itex](a_n)[/itex] is an increasing sequence, prove that the converse of i) is true
Suppose [itex](a_n)[/itex] is divergent, then by ii), all the subsequences must be divergent, so, cant.

therefore [itex](a_n)[/itex] must be convergent, means [itex](a_n)[/itex] tends to M for some M,

apply i), then means M=L

but how come i didn't use the fact [itex](a_n)[/itex] is monotone, must be something wrong somewhere, help T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
"Tends to infinity" is not the only way a sequence can diverge. Oscillating sequences are also divergent.

aaaaaaaaaaaarghh, yes yes, thank you ^^

hmm, now i have to prove that [itex]
(a_n)
[/itex] is convergent,

i suspect i should prove that [itex]
(a_n)
[/itex] is bounded then, i know [itex]
(a_n)
[/itex] is monotone then, [itex]
(a_n)
[/itex] must be converging right? then continue like i was doing above right?

Last edited:
That sounds correct.

thank you very much

What is a convergence subsequence?

A convergence subsequence is a sequence of terms from a given sequence that converges to a specific limit.

How is a convergence subsequence different from a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence where all terms approach the same limit, while a convergence subsequence only includes select terms that approach a specific limit.

Can a sequence have multiple convergence subsequences?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple convergence subsequences as long as each subsequence approaches a different limit.

What is the significance of convergence subsequences in mathematics?

Convergence subsequences are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the behavior of a sequence as it approaches different limits, providing insight into the overall behavior of the sequence.

How can one determine if a sequence has a convergence subsequence?

A sequence has a convergence subsequence if there exists a sequence of increasing indices such that the corresponding terms form a subsequence that converges to a specific limit.