Does the regular GRE matter for physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of studying for the physics GRE and the regular GRE for graduate school admissions. The speaker plans to focus on the physics GRE and is not interested in memorizing history dates for the regular GRE. They also mention that good GRE scores may not guarantee admission, but bad scores can hinder it. The conversation also touches on how grad schools may use GRE scores to reject applicants and the potential impact of a low score.
dipole
I plan to begin studying for the physics GRE no later than the beginning of August, but I hardly have any plans on studying for the regular GRE. After three years of physics I really can't imagine memorizing history dates and whatever other crap is on the regular GRE.

Do grad schools really look at your regular GRE scores and use them to reject people?

Physics news on Phys.org
dipole said:
I plan to begin studying for the physics GRE no later than the beginning of August, but I hardly have any plans on studying for the regular GRE. After three years of physics I really can't imagine memorizing history dates and whatever other crap is on the regular GRE.

Do grad schools really look at your regular GRE scores and use them to reject people?

Good gre scores won't get you in but bad ones will keep you out of grad school. Also, the gre doesn't test you on historical dates.

Don't completely bomb it.

Let's say you get in the 90th percentile on the Physics GRE but the 50th on the regular GRE. You apply to X grad school. Another person who also is in the 90th percentile in Physics but is in the 60th percentile on the regular GRE also applies to X grad school.

Who does the grad school choose?

Obviously there are other factors but getting a low score on something that they actually look at isn't usually a good idea.

I understand the concerns about the regular GRE and its relevance to physics. However, I want to assure you that while the regular GRE may be required for some graduate programs, it is not the sole determining factor for admission into a physics program.

Graduate schools typically look at a combination of factors, including coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. While the regular GRE may be considered, it is not the most important aspect for physics programs. Your performance in physics coursework and your potential for success in a physics graduate program are much more important.

That being said, it is still important to prepare for the regular GRE to the best of your ability. While the content may not directly relate to physics, the test is designed to assess critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in physics. Therefore, taking the time to study and perform well on the regular GRE can demonstrate your overall academic abilities and dedication to your field.

In summary, while the regular GRE may not be the most important factor for physics graduate admissions, it is still worth putting effort into studying and performing well on the exam. Your coursework, research experience, and passion for physics will ultimately be the key factors in your admission to a graduate program.

Related to Does the regular GRE matter for physics?

1. Does taking the regular GRE impact my chances of being accepted into a physics graduate program?

While the regular GRE is not specifically designed for physics, many graduate programs still require it as part of the application process. Therefore, not taking the regular GRE may limit your options for graduate programs.

2. Is the regular GRE score important for a physics graduate program?

The weight placed on the regular GRE score varies from program to program. Some programs may place more emphasis on it, while others may consider it as only one factor among many in the application process.

3. Can a high score on the regular GRE compensate for a lower GPA in physics?

While a high score on the regular GRE may help to strengthen your overall application, it is unlikely to completely compensate for a lower GPA in physics. Graduate programs typically look for a strong academic background in the specific field of study.

4. Can taking the physics GRE instead of the regular GRE benefit my application?

Some physics graduate programs may accept the physics GRE in place of the regular GRE, and for those programs, taking the physics GRE may be more beneficial. However, it is important to research the specific requirements of each program you are applying to.

5. How should I prepare for the regular GRE if I am applying for a physics graduate program?

While the regular GRE may not cover topics specific to physics, it is still important to prepare for it in order to achieve a competitive score. Practice tests and review materials can help familiarize you with the format and types of questions on the regular GRE.