Doing a physics Masters after a CSE Bachelors

In summary, the speaker, who is a European studying computational science at ETH Zürich, is interested in pursuing a masters course in physics despite not being able to study it anymore. They are considering taking extra courses in physics and wonder about their chances of being accepted into a masters program in physics with a focus on theoretical physics. They acknowledge that it may depend on the university, but are curious about the difficulty of transitioning from a computational science background to physics.
pdm
Hi, european here. To some circumstances I can't study physics anymore but I'd like to still get into physics. So currently I'm studying computational science at ETH Zürich. Although we can focus in theoretical physics in our bachelors "thesis", the curriulum differs a lot when compared to physics. As you would expect, CSE focuses more on algorithms/computational things. Because of that I'm planning on taking some extra courses in physics.

assuming my marks are good, how are the chances that I'd get into a masters course in physics? I now that it probably depends on the university and some would take me whereas others woldn't - but I'd still like to know if you think it is possible. Or asked differently: How hard is it to go into "proper" physics from a CSE with a (theoretical) physics focus?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert in the area but I can offer my opinion. I think that it is definitely possible for you to be accepted into a masters course in physics. I believe that if you can show that you have the background in physics, especially if you are looking at specializing and you have had experience in that area, many universities have ways for you to take any additional classes that you might need in order to make up any difference that you might need.

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a physics Masters after a CSE Bachelors?

Pursuing a physics Masters after a CSE Bachelors can open up a wide range of career opportunities in both fields. It allows you to combine your knowledge and skills in computer science with a deeper understanding of physics concepts, making you a valuable asset in industries such as data science, artificial intelligence, and quantum computing.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to pursue a Masters in this field?

While having a background in physics can be advantageous, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer bridge courses or pre-requisite classes for students with non-physics backgrounds, allowing them to catch up on the necessary knowledge before starting their Masters program.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a physics Masters after a CSE Bachelors?

The duration of a physics Masters program can vary depending on the university and whether you choose to study full-time or part-time. On average, it can take 1.5 to 2 years to complete a Master's degree in physics after a CSE Bachelors.

4. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a physics Masters program?

A physics Masters program will equip you with advanced knowledge and skills in various areas of physics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum physics, and statistical mechanics. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are highly valued in many industries.

5. What career options are available after completing a physics Masters program?

Completing a physics Masters program can lead to a variety of career options, including research and development in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and nanotechnology. You can also pursue careers in industries such as technology, finance, and energy, or continue your education with a Ph.D. in physics or a related field.