Double delta well separated by a delta barrier

In summary: I won't do it for you, but you solve this system of equations for k. It's not trivial, but it's also not that hard. It's just algebra.
Flenzil

Homework Statement

Consider a one-dimensional time-independent Schrodinger equation for an electron in a double quantum well separated by an additional barrier. The potential is modeled by:

V (x) = -γδ(x - a) -γδ(x + a) + βδ(x)​

Find algebraic equations which determine the energies (or k-values) of electron bound states for γ > 0 and arbitrary real β (positive or negative). Describe the symmetry of their wave functions in terms of even and odd
solutions. How many bound states do you expect for this system?

Homework Equations

You may nd it useful to work in units ħ = 1 and m = ½, and to introduce k defined as E = -k2, where E < 0 is the energy of a bound state, so that k is real.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve this for arbitrary E, since I don't understand what happens at the barrier for E<0. So I split the problem into 4 parts: x<-a, -a<x<0, 0<x<a and x>a. This results in the wavefunctions:

ψ1 = AeiE½x + Be-iE½x
ψ2 = CeiE½x + De-iE½x
ψ3 = FeiE½x + Ge-iE½x
ψ4 = HeiE½x

Using the conditions of continuity and differential continuity results in the following conditions for the coefficients:

Ce-iE½a + DeiE½a = Ae-iE½a + BeiE½a
-Ce-iE½a + DeiE½a = -(1+iγ/E½)Ae-iE½a + (1+iγ/E½)BeiE½a

F+G=C+D
-F+G=(iβ/E½-1)C+(iβ/E½+1)D

HeiE½a= Fe-iE½a + GeiE½a
-He-iE½a = (1+iγ/E½)Fe-iE½a - (1+iγ/E½)GeiE½a
And now I'm not sure what to do. I can start to solve for transmission and reflection coefficients, but as far as I am aware bound states don't have these? It feels like at this point I need to specifiy the sign for E, but for E<0 I don't know what happens at the barrier since barriers don't have bound states.

Physics news on Phys.org
To simplify your life a little, you need to realize that if [itex]E < 0[/itex], then the corresponding wave function looks like:

[itex]A e^{-kx} + B e^{+kx}[/itex]

Where [itex]k = \sqrt{-E}[/itex] (in the units with [itex]\hbar = 1, m = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]. There is no "i" in the exponent. So when [itex]x \rightarrow -\infty[/itex], you have to have [itex]A = 0[/itex].

The continuity and derivative conditions across a delta function potential have the same form, whether the energy is positive or negative.

stevendaryl said:
To simplify your life a little, you need to realize that if [itex]E < 0[/itex], then the corresponding wave function looks like:

[itex]A e^{-kx} + B e^{+kx}[/itex]

I know that but I was trying to solve it generically first because I don't understand what happens to an exponential at a barrier. I know that for a traveling wave, it would exponentially decrease throughout the barrier until it got to the other side with a lower amplitude. But if it's already exponential, and also below 0, and also width zero, then I have no idea.

Schrodinger's equation is:

[itex] - \psi''(x) + V(x) \psi(x) = E \psi(x)[/itex]

Suppose that you have a delta-function at [itex]x=a[/itex], so [itex]V(x) = g \delta(x-a)[/itex]. Then we can integrate both sides of this equation from [itex]x=a - \epsilon[/itex] to [itex]x=a + \epsilon[/itex].

[itex]\int_{a-\epsilon}^{a+\epsilon} - \psi''(x) dx = - (\psi'(a+\epsilon) - \psi'(a-\epsilon))[/itex]

[itex]\int_{a-\epsilon}^{a+\epsilon} g \delta(x-a) \psi(x) dx = g \psi(a)[/itex]

[itex]\int_{a-\epsilon}^{a+\epsilon} E \psi(x) dx \approx E \epsilon \psi(a)[/itex]

So when you take [itex]\epsilon[/itex] very small, the right side is approximately zero, so we just have:

[itex]- (\psi'(a+\epsilon) - \psi'(a-\epsilon)) + g \psi(a) = 0[/itex]

So that's the derivative condition. You have to apply that for all three delta-functions (which have different values for [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]). So that gives you three equations. You also have to apply continuity at all three delta-functions. That gives you three more equations. So you have 6 equations and 6 unknowns (the coefficients for [itex]B, C, D, F, G, H[/itex]). If you solve them, that'll end up giving you an equation for [itex]k[/itex].

So doing that, I get
[itex] C=D\frac{2k}{\gamma} e^{2ka} (\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1) [/itex] from the first well
[itex] G=F\frac{2k}{\gamma} e^{2ka} (\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1) [/itex] from the second well
And then I use these with C+D=F+G from the barrier to get:
D=F and C=G

So that I have:
[itex] Be^{kx}[/itex] for x<-a
[itex] Ce^{kx}+De^{-kx}[/itex] for -a<x<0
[itex] De^{kx}+Ce^{-kx}[/itex] for 0<x<a
[itex] He^{-kx} [/itex] for x>a

Am I on the right track here?

Edit: I can also get B=H by using the D=F relation with the alternate solution from the wells:
[itex] D=B\frac{\gamma}{2k} e^{-2ka} [/itex] from the first well
[itex] F=H\frac{\gamma}{2k} e^{-2ka} [/itex] from the second well

Last edited:
Flenzil said:
So doing that, I get
[itex] C=D\frac{2k}{\gamma} e^{2ka} (\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1) [/itex] from the first well

I think that should be
[itex] C=De^{-2ka} (\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1) [/itex]

stevendaryl said:
I think that should be
[itex] C=De^{-2ka} (\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1) [/itex]
Yes. Yes it should.

If I use the differential continuity at the barrier I come up with a different relation between C and D:
[itex] D=C\frac{2+\beta/k}{2-\beta/k} [/itex]

These seems at odds with the relation from the first well:
[itex] C=D(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)e^{2ka} [/itex]

Mathmatically they both seem correct but they don't agree with each other. Is this maybe because they're only valid at their respective potentials or are they just wrong?

Let's recap: You have the four regions:
  1. [itex]B e^{+kx}[/itex]
  2. [itex]C e^{kx} + D e^{-kx}[/itex]
  3. [itex]F e^{kx} + G e^{-kx}[/itex]
  4. [itex]H e^{-kx}[/itex]
From the boundary between regions 1&2, you get:
[itex]B e^{-ka} = C e^{-ka} + D e^{+ka}[/itex]
[itex]k (C e^{-ka} - D e^{+ka} - B e^{-ka}) = -\gamma B e^{-ka}[/itex]

From the boundary between regions 2&3, you get:
[itex]C + D = F + G[/itex]
[itex]k (F - G - C + D) = \beta (F+G)[/itex]

From the boundary between regions 3&4, you get:
[itex]F e^{ka} + G e^{-ka} = H e^{-ka}[/itex]
[itex]k (F e^{ka} - G e^{-ka} + H e^{-ka}) = -\gamma H e^{-ka}[/itex]

I think you made a mistake in solving these. However, here is a trick to simplify things: Try two guesses about the parity:

First guess: [itex]\psi(-x) = \psi(x)[/itex] This implies: [itex]B = H, C=G, D=F[/itex]
Second guess: [itex]\psi(-x) = -\psi(x)[/itex] This implies: [itex]B = -H, C=-G, D=-F[/itex]

Ok, going through the calculations again, I've arrived at 3 equations for k, 1 for each boundary:

For even symmetry

Boundary 1: [itex] k=-k\frac{De^{ka}-Ce^{-ka}}{De^{ka}+Ce^{-ka}} +\gamma[/itex]
Boundary 2: [itex] k=\frac{\beta}{2} \frac{D+C}{D-C} [/itex]
Boundary 3: [itex] k=-k\frac{De^{ka}-Ce^{-ka}}{De^{ka}+Ce^{-ka}} +\gamma[/itex]

And for odd symmetry:

Boundary 2: k is kind of undefined here because [itex] F-G-C+D =0[/itex], I assume because the wavefunction is zero here?
Boundary 3: [itex] k=-k\frac{De^{ka}-Ce^{-ka}}{De^{ka}+Ce^{-ka}} -\gamma[/itex]

I'm a bit confused about this energy at the barrier, it doesn't depend on distance or anything.

I understand that if this were a non-delta well, I could compare [itex] k=\sqrt{-E} [/itex] at the V=0 portion to [itex] \kappa =\sqrt{E+V_0} [/itex] inside the well by forming an equation of k as a function of [itex]\kappa[/itex] and finding the intersect of the two functions. But here that isn't possible here because there is no "inside the well".

Flenzil said:
Ok, going through the calculations again, I've arrived at 3 equations for k, 1 for each boundary:

For even symmetry

Boundary 2: [itex] k=\frac{\beta}{2} \frac{D+C}{D-C} [/itex]
Boundary 3: [itex] k=-k\frac{De^{ka}-Ce^{-ka}}{De^{ka}+Ce^{-ka}} +\gamma[/itex]

I haven't checked whether those are right, but to get an eigenvalue for [itex]k[/itex], all three (or the first two, since the third is a repeat) equations must be true. So you have to solve the first equation for [itex]C[/itex] in terms of [itex]D[/itex] (which you already did, earlier). Plug that into the second equation. [itex]D[/itex] should then cancel out, giving an equation involving [itex]k[/itex] alone.

stevendaryl said:
I haven't checked whether those are right, but to get an eigenvalue for [itex]k[/itex], all three (or the first two, since the third is a repeat) equations must be true. So you have to solve the first equation for [itex]C[/itex] in terms of [itex]D[/itex] (which you already did, earlier). Plug that into the second equation. [itex]D[/itex] should then cancel out, giving an equation involving [itex]k[/itex] alone.

Well, I get [itex] C=De^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1) [/itex] as before
Which I put into [itex] k=\frac{\beta}{2}\frac{D+C}{D-C} [/itex]
Which comes out with [itex]k=\frac{\beta}{2}\frac{1+e^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)}{1-e^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)}[/itex]

I'm having a hard time solving this for k, almost every term has a k in it. I've been checking the maths and it all seems to work, I'll keep checking though.

Flenzil said:
Well, I get [itex] C=De^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1) [/itex] as before
Which I put into [itex] k=\frac{\beta}{2}\frac{D+C}{D-C} [/itex]
Which comes out with [itex]k=\frac{\beta}{2}\frac{1+e^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)}{1-e^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)}[/itex]

I'm having a hard time solving this for k, almost every term has a k in it. I've been checking the maths and it all seems to work, I'll keep checking though.

That's as good as you can get. It's a transcendental equation involving [itex]k[/itex]. To solve for [itex]k[/itex], you can either do it numerically, or you can try expanding [itex]k[/itex] in a power series (in powers of [itex]\gamma[/itex], maybe).

stevendaryl said:
That's as good as you can get. It's a transcendental equation involving [itex]k[/itex]. To solve for [itex]k[/itex], you can either do it numerically, or you can try expanding [itex]k[/itex] in a power series (in powers of [itex]\gamma[/itex], maybe).

The question wants algebraic solutions for E though. Although I'm not sure if this forbids a power series.

Last edited:
Flenzil said:
The question wants algebraic solutions for E though. Although I'm not sure if this forbids a power series.

Well, I don't think it has a closed-form solution. If [itex]\beta=0[/itex], then I think the equation for [itex]k[/itex] turns out to be:

[itex]k = \frac{\gamma}{2}(1 + e^{-2ka})[/itex]

There is no closed-form solution to that equation. What you can do is to graph both sides as a function of [itex]k[/itex], and see for what value of [itex]k[/itex] the two curves intersect.

stevendaryl said:
Well, I don't think it has a closed-form solution. If [itex]\beta=0[/itex], then I think the equation for [itex]k[/itex] turns out to be:

[itex]k = \frac{\gamma}{2}(1 + e^{-2ka})[/itex]

There is no closed-form solution to that equation. What you can do is to graph both sides as a function of [itex]k[/itex], and see for what value of [itex]k[/itex] the two curves intersect.

I've been trying to solve it graphically but then I need values for [itex]\beta,\gamma[/itex] and a and the functions change drastically depending on the values of these.

I'm also unsure about this solution since it's currently:

[itex]Be^{kx}[/itex] for x<-a
[itex]De^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)e^{kx}+De^{-kx}[/itex] for -a<x<0
[itex]De^{kx} + De^{2ka}(\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)e^{-kx}[/itex] for 0<x<a
[itex]Be^{-kx}[/itex] for x>a

So going through the barrier has no effect on the wavefunction and going through the second well somehow rids the wavefunction of the [itex](\frac{2k}{\gamma}-1)e^{2ka}[/itex] term. I'm just worried that the question calls for some kind of equation for E and I'm unable to provide one.

So just in case people find this and want an answer. Yes, this is right and by "algebraic equations" the question didn't mean analytic so a relation that can be solved graphically is fine. Also, if you find that the odd solution ignores the central delta function completely, then you're headed in the right direction. Quantum mechanics is fun like that :).

1. What is a double delta well separated by a delta barrier?

A double delta well separated by a delta barrier is a physical system with two potential wells that are separated by a barrier with a very narrow width. This system is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

2. How does the potential barrier affect the behavior of particles in the double delta well system?

The potential barrier acts as a barrier between the two wells, making it more difficult for particles to move from one well to the other. This results in a localization of particles within each well, leading to interesting quantum effects such as tunneling and wave interference.

3. What are some real-world applications of the double delta well separated by a delta barrier system?

The double delta well separated by a delta barrier system has been used to model various physical phenomena, such as the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices and the dynamics of atoms in optical lattices. It is also used in quantum computing and can help us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

4. How do the parameters of the double delta well system affect its behavior?

The behavior of the system is highly dependent on the parameters of the potential wells and the barrier, such as their widths and heights. These parameters can be adjusted to control the strength of confinement and the degree of particle localization within the wells.

5. What are some current research areas related to the double delta well separated by a delta barrier system?

Scientists are currently studying the behavior of particles in more complex versions of the double delta well system, such as those with multiple barriers or varying barrier widths. This research can help us better understand the quantum properties of confined particles and their potential applications in technology.